Recreational Trimix to Adv. Trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElBacio

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello,

There is student certified with "Adv. Nitrox" and "Recreational Trimix" from another agency. He wants to enroll to TDI Adv. Trimix course.

I think he should first go through TDI Trimix (normoxic) course.

The "Recreational Trimix" course standards, which he already passed, say he should be qualified of using Trimix mixtures with the range of O2 between 28 and 40% as well as Helium with END not more than 24 msw. The main gas for "Recreational Trimix" was 30/25.

In my opinion this "Recreational Trimix" does not fulfill prerequisity for TDI Adv. Trimix of "being certified Extended Range or Trimix or equivalent". I do not think their "Recreational Trimix" is equivalent to our TDI Trimix.

What are your thoughts?

El Bacio

Give the student an equivalent written exam based on the TDI Normoxic Course, as well as an oral exam on theory, technique, protocol etc. Schedule a "lab practical" dive to test whether the student's skill level is up to par. If the student is outstandingly competent in skill & knowledge and meets TDI Standards, then let him/her enroll in the Adv Trimix Course. . .

Diver or Instructor? Which agency and which exact courses?

Training Department works from an equivalence table to work out what the exact match or closest match might be.

From what you have posted here, it seems that the candidate has no real experience conducting long staged decompression dives. Ask yourself if you would be happy with this person as a dive buddy (not a student) on a dive to 55 - 60 metres using trimix with enough helium to reduce nitrogen partial pressure at depth to 3.1 / 3.2 bar and two decompression gases.

If the answer is no, and I believe it would be, then their training and experience does not meet the prerequisites for Advanced Trimix.

Advanced Trimix is the highest certification we offer an Open Circuit diver... 100 metres is a long way down and it takes some considerable skill to be able to pull of a trouble-free ascent.

You may find after some exploratory dives with them, that they have skills and experience way beyond those indicated by their certification... and then again, you may find them to be shaky.

As an Advanced Trimix IT with a little experience, if I have the slightest shadow of doubt about a candidate's ability to function at this level, I will suggest 'remedial' work/classes regardless.

Last edited:
Advanced Recreational Trimix

as a prerequsite to Adv Rec Trimix you may either have Nitrox, and Deep diver, or Rec Trimix, dives must not be done below 160fsw, and the END shall not execeed 80fsw:

4 dives are completed with 2 as deep as 160 fw but no less than 100 fw.
Decompression is permitted up to 15 minutes
Diving with pony or stage cylinder with decompression mix up to 40 %
If taken with Advanced Nitrox may utilize decompression mix up to 50%
course may be completed in doubles with dual outlet manifold or a single tank configuration

I though TDI was ADV NX, DECO, TRIMIX and ADV TRIMIX...What does he have reguarding DECO?

Back
Top Bottom