recs for gopro vid light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kinda more in my price range... What do you like or don't like about this light? Usefulness?

I like that it integrates well with the camera and is very bright with a wide enough even illumination zone. On my Bonaire night dives I use it as my primary light with the camera turned on. That way all I have to do is press the camera button to start capturing video.

I also like that it's a single button on, cycle through the levels, then off - or just hold to set off. It has a slot on the side that accepts a filter (made from plastic filter sheets from Amazon) - I used it with a blue filter on the light and a yellow filter in my mask and on the camera to see the bio-fluroescence on Bonaire at night. It's light and small.

The only thing I don't particularly care for is that the battery is integral. It would be nice if the battery were removable so I could charge one while I was using the other. It's really a minor problem as the battery lasts far longer than my night dives and as long as I remember to plug it in over night or before I leave for my day dives every couple of days I never run out of light. If it were a problem, they are about as cheap as buying a spare battery. I'd just get two.

We have been using the Evolva video lights for a couple of years with nice results. I have seen them sell for as little as 36 bucks without the battery and charger. It is not the most robust light and having to cycle through the different modes can be tedious, but I have been very pleased considering the price. The ball attachment is a great feature and can be removed if inclined. With all that being said, we just purchased two new DGE video lights for 55 dollars (each) for a second GoPro tray setup. Very well made lights with a convenient rear push button. We will be trying these out in a few weeks.

Here is a night video using 2 Evolva lights mounted on a tray with a 20-50 feet BackScatter flip filter. Good luck!

Note: the appearance of bright flashes in some of these shots is the result of divers placing their flashlights and/or video lights on the subject

Last edited:
Has anyone tried any of these lights?
Andoer 700LM
Andoer 1800LM
Lumosh

I have the andoer 1800lm and I am very happy with it - in fact I used it also for photography (together with another cheap light) on a trip to raja ampat (see https://www.flickr.com/photos/80807752@N06/albums/72157693354013751 for sample images). Yes a strobe would be much better for photography (at much higher price of course). Similarly for video, a much more expensive/stronger light would be better but would also cost many many times more. It would also probably have much bigger batteries, size, weight etc. For my needs they are an excellent choice.

If you get an Andoer one be careful with the batteries. It accepts only button top 18650 batteries WITHOUT protection circuit. Batteries with protection circuit are a bit longer (~2mm, 1/10th of an inch or so) and won't fit in the light. Another option for batteries (and the one I am using) is to use flat top 18650 ones without protection (in my case it was much easier obtaining those than button top) and add a somewhat protruding metal sheet between the the + pole of the battery and the + terminal of the light.

I have had bad results with the Evolva lights. I bought 2 because they held so much promise for so little cost. Easy switching on and off, good lighting power, red mode. One flooded on second dive. I've been using lights and cameras for many years and know all about checking for dirty or pinched o-rings. Second one lasted a dozen dives before the switch went bonkers and it would start cycling through modes on it's own and be unable to switch off. You can read Amazon reviews and see many users have had the same experiences.

Meanwhile, my Aqualite 100's have been on as many dives and continue to perform flawlessly. Of course, they cost almost $200 each while Evolva's are $50.

I have had bad results with the Evolva lights. I bought 2 because they held so much promise for so little cost. Easy switching on and off, good lighting power, red mode. One flooded on second dive. I've been using lights and cameras for many years and know all about checking for dirty or pinched o-rings. Second one lasted a dozen dives before the switch went bonkers and it would start cycling through modes on it's own and be unable to switch off. You can read Amazon reviews and see many users have had the same experiences.

Meanwhile, my Aqualite 100's have been on as many dives and continue to perform flawlessly. Of course, they cost almost $200 each while Evolva's are $50.

I agree. These lights are susceptible to flooding. The front threaded retainer ring tends to loosen over time, so I have resorted to Loctite. I have had two of the crystals crack as well. We are using the Dive Gear Express video lights this week. I will post a report.

I won a BigBlue light in a raffle and have been really disappointed with its performance and wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

I actually dug up the following, which makes BigBlue look really bad when compared to Sola:

We Test Lights | AL1100XWP Test and Review
We Test Lights | Sola Photo 1200 Test and Review
To be fair the Sola light is $400 while the BigBlue is $115 at Leisurepro. The BigBlue takes standard Li-ion battery changeable in the field while the Sola has to be charged in the light.

To be fair the Sola light is $400 while the BigBlue is $115 at Leisurepro. The BigBlue takes standard Li-ion battery changeable in the field while the Sola has to be charged in the light.

I agree that you have some good points. But still feel that BigBlue is less than honest about the performance of their lights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom