recs for gopro vid light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It’s a good point about honest specs, but let me make another argument in defense of BigBlue and just look at the measured specs:
Sola 1250 lumens vs BB 892 lumens — Sola wins
Sola beam angle 60 deg vs BB 77 deg — BB wins
Sola run time 70 mins vs BB 106 mins — BB wins
Sola price $400 vs BB $115. — BB wins.

You can buy two BigBlue lights for the price of one Sola and still have money left over.

One reason I defend BB is they’re great at product support. One of their lights leaked and they promptly sent me a new updated model.

Last edited:
I guess I wasn't clear with my first post. I only wished to point out that the actual performance of BigBlue does not come close to the advertised performance. Make what you will about it -- I feel that it is false advertising.

We have been using the Evolva video lights for a couple of years with nice results. I have seen them sell for as little as 36 bucks without the battery and charger. It is not the most robust light and having to cycle through the different modes can be tedious, but I have been very pleased considering the price. The ball attachment is a great feature and can be removed if inclined. With all that being said, we just purchased two new DGE video lights for 55 dollars (each) for a second GoPro tray setup. Very well made lights with a convenient rear push button. We will be trying these out in a few weeks.

Here is a night video using 2 Evolva lights mounted on a tray with a 20-50 feet BackScatter flip filter. Good luck!

Note: the appearance of bright flashes in some of these shots is the result of divers placing their flashlights and/or video lights on the subject
Great video! Were you using one or two lights? Have you tried the DGX lights yet?

Hey OP, did you ever get a light? Sorry I was late finding this thread but I may be able to help you out.

Hey OP, did you ever get a light? Sorry I was late finding this thread but I may be able to help you out.

No not yet... I have a trip coming up soon so probably in the next month or so... Been busy with life. Whatcha got?

Great video! Were you using one or two lights? Have you tried the DGX lights yet?

Sorry, just now saw your post. Thanks for the compliment on the video! I was using 2 lights throughout the recording. Unfortunately I can no longer recommend the Evolva lights. When functioning correctly they are very effective, but they simply don’t hold up. All four of our lights have either flooded or the switches have gone bad. When the switch fails the light continuously and rapidly cycles through the various red and white modes. Can’t swear to it, but I believe dives in excess of 100 feet affect the switches adversely over time. I was recording an unsuspecting turtle during one of these flashing episodes in Cozumel last month. The turtle became so perplexed by the impromptu light show it stopped eating, lifted up its head and just stared. Tourists!

We used the Dive Gear Express video lights after the Evolva lights failed. Very well made light. Very robust design. First impression is they are fine for near field video, especially at night, but anything beyond a couple of feet during the day not so much. Still working with them though.

Scubalamp produce a wide range of video lights at what look like very reasonable price see Scubalamp Diving lights with lights ranging from 1800 lumen to 12000

I am currently giving serious consideration to getting a pair of V6K at a whopping 12000 lumens for my DSLR Gopro setup.

I have been using a pair of 2400lumen lights and consider this just adequate for underwater.

Scubalamp produce a wide range of video lights at what look like very reasonable price see Scubalamp Diving lights with lights ranging from 1800 lumen to 12000

I am currently giving serious consideration to getting a pair of V6K at a whopping 12000 lumens for my DSLR Gopro setup.

I have been using a pair of 2400lumen lights and consider this just adequate for underwater.

how much ? I didn't see any pricing. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom