red coral for decoration

How do you feel about red coral being used for curios such as jewelry and decoration?

• We've been using it for thousands of years; why stop now?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sure, as long as it's managed sustainably.

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Red coral is like ivory and shouldn't be harvested or sold as jewelry.

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • I'm not really concerned about it.

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I think of the environmental damage that is caused by people taking living things, or gems and other non-living things for the purposes of decoration or ornamentation, it is sad.

Personally the only jewelry I possess is a ring that belonged to my grandfather which I wear daily in remembrance of him and my grandmother.

I prefer women who wear nothing at all (jewelry that is, of course)... but neoprene!

By the way, I'm aware of some of Oceana's projects and have provided information and wrote one of my newspaper columns about the impact of large cruise ships on the local ecosystems, as well as human bein gs through issues like air pollution and solid or sewage waste disposal.

:deadhorse: do you like this? if not don't mess with the corals :no

Coral can be simulated -- and frequently is in many aquariums -- so I see no need to use real coral in jewelry.

It would be nice to see what kind of reaction the ladies have when they find out that they are wearing fire corals:D

In all seriousness...I would to see that the corals be the home for the reef life and our viewing purposes underwater instead of a gift that is used only a while and chucked aside after a while.

I like the old adage "take only memories, leave only footprints" or in our case bubbles.

Back
Top Bottom