Red Creature with yellow horns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott Geitler of LAdiving.org responded to my email query about the creature, as well. He agrees with Dr. Bill that it is a Bat Star. I just wish I had been able to hang around and get a better picture. If it is a Bat Star, it is the reddest Bat Star I have ever seen, live, on film, or in a book. Thank you guys for all your input.

Many of the bat stars one sees in shallow water are a lighter orange in color. However, they can be a very deep red or red-orange (as well as a whole range of other colors). Thanks Scott for the confirmation... I felt pretty certain I was right (after all, I am a marine biologist and have been diving SoCal waters for almost 40 years... sheez, I don't get no respect!).

I agree, the first is not a flying gurnard, if the second isn't then tell me what it is?

The picture looks to be a species of Prionotus spp. or possibly but not as likely a Bellator spp. If I had to take a guess about the species not knowing where the picture is from, I would say Prionotus scitulus Leopard Searobin.

But as far as the original ID goes, Nice ID, I am not at all familiar with California waters but I need to come make a dive for some fun ID's

If it is a Prionotus then it is in the Gurnard/Searobin family:

ADW: Prionotus: Classification

It was taken off of Venice Beach in Florida, they were all over the place...

Mike

There are both Gurnards and Searobins in the family Triglidae but Flying Gurnards are in the family Dactylopteridae. Also based on the location it was taken I would stick with the ID of Prionotus scitulus that picture off of Venice.

... sheez, I don't get no respect!).
Sure you do! The instant I read "bat star" in your first post the little bulb went off in my pea brain and I exclaimed "of course!"
And The Lovely Young Kat gave me one of those interesting looks....
:D
Rick

Thanks, Rick.

Of course if the OP is interested, he can get my Echinoderms DVD for a mere $35 (plus tax and shipping). Check it out:

Echinoderms of SoCal DVD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom