Red Filter for PT-033

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've looked and looked also. I have a PT021 and can't even find the size lens I need. Is it 46mm also?

Just measure the inside diameter of the port in mm. There are adapters to fit a number of different port sizes as well that slip over the outside.

Jack

Hello , My name is Kevin . I was looking at the Hoya 25A . Can I ask what situation a red filter would be beneficial ? I just acquired a strobe ( YS - 60 TTL / S ) and was told the strobe would do the job , I was thinking the red filter might be good in the 0 - 8 meter range , top of the coral head or perhaps in shallow waters , were the " strange creatures dwell " in Lembeh or the assorted piers . The Hoya was cheap , but you get what you paid for . Any info and red lenses that actually deliver results . What was your result with the Hoya 25 A Thanks Kevin

I have a point and shoot Olympus Stylus 400. Its main problems as an underwater camera is 1) no manual white balance, and 2) no manual focus.

Looking at histograms of available light photos in the 30 to 100' range in clear Maui waters, it was not unusual for the blue and green to have fullscale range (0 to 255) but the red values to only range from 0 to about 30. In other words, very little red.

The red filter was an attempt to bring up the red levels by reducing the blue and green. What happened is that the red filter cut too much of the available blue and green light, making it difficult for the camera to focus. In addition, the dramatically reduced light levels also forced the camera to both go to max aperture and slow down the shutter so much that both camera shake and subject movement caused blurring.

http://www.magic-filters.com/ is a company that makes filters that aren't pure red but are more orange. They also don't have as much light filtering as does the 25A filter. I haven't tried them yet, but others on SB have reported them as working well.

I can highly recommend Alex's Magic Filters. I've had the best luck with them in the shallows from 8ft to about 15ft max. in ambient light, no strobes. It adds just the right about of red to the photos to make the colors look natural. However, the drawback is if it's a bright sunny day, the water is exceptionally clear or if I'm just shallower than I thought, the photos will have a pink cast to them. Red filters have their place but they definitely have their own set of issues and aren't a cure all for all photos. You just have to learn it's limits and allowances.

The PT-033 takes a 40.5mm filter which we don't have.

I've used the Magic filters and had good results, the only issue is that they are an inside mount and you are devoting the whole dive for shallow water shooting. It's nice to have something that you can switch on and off as you want to use a strobe.

Jack

Just a note, I ordered a 46mm filter from Jack and he responded within minutes of my order and even figured out that it was the wrong size and returned my money promptly. Highly recommend using him for purchases in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom