Red Sail v. Cayman Turtle Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jscheier

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be going to GC with my wife (she is not a diver and this is not a dive trip) and staying at Kimpton. I am going to try and get in the water for a couple of dives. Red Sail is on the premises and Cayman Turtle Divers is right next door. The only negative I have read about CTD was an incident with a teddy bear costume. Any experience with either? My concern with Red Sail is that it is a big operation and there will be a ton of divers on the boat.

Thanks

J

The fact that it is a big operation does not mean it has a lot of divers on the boat. It means it has a lot of boats. What you want to do is check out their specific policies and procedures rather than their overall company size. I have only been to GC once, and that was well over a decade ago. When there, I did have experience with a Red Sail operation, and my experience will clearly show why you need to check things out.

I was scheduled for a week at a resort that had a Red Sail operation on site. I did not bother to check it out, and I signed up for diving the day I arrived and went out for an afternoon dive immediately. It was a small boat with a very reasonable number of divers. Things looked good. The DM announced that we would be doing a 35 minute dive, following him all the way. We followed him like a line of rats following the Pied Piper, and we surfaced at 35 minutes, almost to the second. We all had plenty of gas left. I asked another diver, and he told me that all the dives would be like that. He suggested I contact another nearby operator if I wanted a different experience.

As soon as I was back in the room, I contacted that operation and switched to them. They picked me up at the resort each day. We had wonderful dives, with plenty of time to explore sites on our own and use the gas in our tanks. I would still rate them as one of the best operations I have ever used. I had a wonderful week of diving; if I had stayed with that Red Sail operator, I would have been miserable all week. I learned my lesson. I have checked out the reputations and policies of every dive operation I have used ever since.

Did my experience reflect on all Red Sail operations? I was told they were all like that, although I have no way of knowing that. Are they still the same? I have no idea. I only know that it is important to check before you arrive and find yourself in a mismatch of expectations that will ruin your vacation.

This is gross misinformation. 10 years out of date and based on one afternoon dive. Why bother posting something like that? Cayman Dive ops are competitive and therefore all try to please their customers. Many posters have their favorites based on various factors. Why not try the in house dive op for a day and see what it's like. If not to your taste and satisfaction, try the competition next door.

This is gross misinformation. 10 years out of date and based on one afternoon dive. Why bother posting something like that? Cayman Dive ops are competitive and therefore all try to please their customers. Many posters have their favorites based on various factors. Why not try the in house dive op for a day and see what it's like. If not to your taste and satisfaction, try the competition next door.
I believe I said that. The point of my post was to check ahead. I take it you do not believe in that approach. Just show up and see what happens?

Tons of posts already on Red Sail and CTD and none that I recall that were negative or would cause me not to try them out.

Many good ops on GC regardless of what the size of the operation may seem or the size of the boat.

Agree with Doctorfish, if convenient try one that is on site or close by but most will pick you up from your location or are easy to get to so that need not limit your choice.

Have fun.

BTW - Is there a touch of irony here - staying at Kimpton but wanting a small op/boat or not too many people? I don't know, but I digress.

Last edited:
I dive with Red Sail at least once almost every week for the several months I am on GC each year, plus I do several dives while there with one of the other fine operations as well (but not CTD) - so I can do a limited comparison.

First, most of the dive ops on GC are great, including Red Sail, and the dive experiences are very similar.

@boulderjohn, not sure when you dove with Red Sail, but that is not what I have experience over the 50 or so dives I've done with them. They do run large boats, but that means lots of space. I have gone with a few of the 6 and 8 pack dive ops, and when those boats are full there actually can be less room than on a Red Sail boat. The dives are deep (100'/50 minutes) followed by shallow (60'/60 min), Both dives are guided but if you have a buddy you can buddy up and do your thing on the second dive. This is pretty much the same protocol I have experienced with the other shops unless my party is the only one on the boat. Red Sail breaks the group into small dive groups each with a DM, and these groups are often smaller than I have experienced with other dive ops - but not a big deal if you are talking 5 vs 8, say. They also try to break them up by skill level, although you can go with friends if you like. Red Sail is very accommodating. I took a friend out for a discovery dive, and wanted to dive with him. They said they could not do that, as the DM has his full complement of four discovery divers and could not be responsible for me. So they voluntarily without my having to ask assigned me my own private DM (no additional charge), and the plan was to hook up with them at some point. I have taken friends on discovery dives with other ops, but I had to register as one of the discovery divers to go along. And BTW, that Red Sail dive was 76 minutes for me (we went in about 30 minutes before the discovery group).

In general I find that with most of the ops, including Red Sail, bottom time is not hard and fast. They all seem to do the 50/60 minute thing, but if you are first in the water like I try to be, I am always able to get though all my air with Red Sail and the others. At the end of each dive, Red Sail will buddy you up under the boat (if you don't already have a buddy) with someone who has similar air and you can pretty much stay down until you and your buddy are ready to surface. Again, not unlike the other dive ops I go with.

One last thing, I find Red Sail to be very professional. I have had minor equipment issues, scheduling issues, and the like with some of the smaller ops. Never with Red Sail. I do also like the smaller ops, though as some of them provide more valet-oriented services (although with any of them , all you have to do is ask) and can be more flexible regarding dive sites, especially if there is only a very small number of divers on board. Plus a couple of the smaller ops are the only ones doing 2-tank PM dives, which I prefer.

Again, i don't know much about CTD but you probably can't go wrong with either.

The fact that it is a big operation does not mean it has a lot of divers on the boat.
Except now it does. They have a lot of big boats and some of the cruise business - I think Disney?

At a mooring once our DM said watch this as a Red Sail boat moored next to us. We counted 20ish divers off the boat and what appeared to be 2-3 DM's leading separate grouos - the 5 of us on our 30+' boat thought that was excessive.

some people like diving in crowds - I'm not one of them.

Tons of posts already on Red Sail and Cayman Marine Lab and none that I recall that were negative or would cause me not to try them out.

Many good ops on GC regardless of what the size of the operation may seem or the size of the boat.

Agree with Doctorfish, if convenient try one that is on site or close by but most will pick you up from your location or are easy to get to so that need not limit your choice.

Have fun.

BTW - Is there a touch of irony here - staying at Kimpton but wanting a small op/boat or not too many people? I don't know, but I digress.

My wife picked the Kimpton. I'm not opposed to crowds. I just don't want to be on a packed boat/dive.

I dive with Red Sail at least once almost every week for the several months I am on GC each year, plus I do several dives while there with one of the other fine operations as well (but not CTD) - so I can do a limited comparison.

First, most of the dive ops on GC are great, including Red Sail, and the dive experiences are very similar.

@boulderjohn, not sure when you dove with Red Sail, but that is not what I have experience over the 50 or so dives I've done with them. They do run large boats, but that means lots of space. I have gone with a few of the 6 and 8 pack dive ops, and when those boats are full there actually can be less room than on a Red Sail boat. The dives are deep (100'/50 minutes) followed by shallow (60'/60 min), Both dives are guided but if you have a buddy you can buddy up and do your thing on the second dive. This is pretty much the same protocol I have experienced with the other shops unless my party is the only one on the boat. Red Sail breaks the group into small dive groups each with a DM, and these groups are often smaller than I have experienced with other dive ops - but not a big deal if you are talking 5 vs 8, say. They also try to break them up by skill level, although you can go with friends if you like. Red Sail is very accommodating. I took a friend out for a discovery dive, and wanted to dive with him. They said they could not do that, as the DM has his full complement of four discovery divers and could not be responsible for me. So they voluntarily without my having to ask assigned me my own private DM (no additional charge), and the plan was to hook up with them at some point. I have taken friends on discovery dives with other ops, but I had to register as one of the discovery divers to go along. And BTW, that Red Sail dive was 76 minutes for me (we went in about 30 minutes before the discovery group).

In general I find that with most of the ops, including Red Sail, bottom time is not hard and fast. They all seem to do the 50/60 minute thing, but if you are first in the water like I try to be, I am always able to get though all my air with Red Sail and the others. At the end of each dive, Red Sail will buddy you up under the boat (if you don't already have a buddy) with someone who has similar air and you can pretty much stay down until you and your buddy are ready to surface. Again, not unlike the other dive ops I go with.

One last thing, I find Red Sail to be very professional. I have had minor equipment issues, scheduling issues, and the like with some of the smaller ops. Never with Red Sail. I do also like the smaller ops, though as some of them provide more valet-oriented services (although with any of them , all you have to do is ask) and can be more flexible regarding dive sites, especially if there is only a very small number of divers on board. Plus a couple of the smaller ops are the only ones doing 2-tank PM dives, which I prefer.

Again, i don't know much about CTD but you probably can't go wrong with either.

Thanks for the reply. I will inquire as to how many are on a dive and if we can stay down as long as we have air.

Back
Top Bottom