Red Sea (Egypt) closed (covid-19 confined)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone know whether the M/V Tillis Liveaboard has been operating its scheduled trips out of Port Ghalib since things started to open up in Egypt? I'm booked on a trip with them middle of December. The booking was done through Liveaboard.com (originally for May, then rescheduled for September and now for December) and its difficult to get info from them as to whether various vessels are actually operating.

Does anyone know whether the M/V Tillis Liveaboard has been operating its scheduled trips out of Port Ghalib since things started to open up in Egypt? I'm booked on a trip with them middle of December. The booking was done through Liveaboard.com (originally for May, then rescheduled for September and now for December) and its difficult to get info from them as to whether various vessels are actually operating.

I dove with the Tillis last year, having booked through Liveaboard.com. I had a great time. Mr. Ali, the owner, can be contacted directly through this link: Contact - Dive Pro Liveaboard I know that Mr. Ali's boats have been running in recent weeks. I suggest you contact him directly with any questions. I found him most responsive via IM.

Have you seen Longimanus elsewhere than Elphinstone, especially with those black & white pilot fish? I've been to Cocos, Socorro & Galapagos, seen many kinds of sharks, but no Longimanus until I went to Red Sea.

I'll be in Tiger Beach to see Tiger shark this November if Bahamas let the American to come in by then.

I saw a pair of Longimanus at Big Brother island, at the end of a dive, after I'd taken off my dive gear. As I was about to get out of the water, the only other diver still in the water called out that he could see a couple of oceanic white tips right under the boat. I poked my head under water, and sure enough, they were right there, looking right at me, super interested. I yelled at the boat crew to hand me my camera, but they wisely told me to get the hell back on the boat, insisting that being on the surface with no dive gear on and two oceanic white tips right below me was not a good place to be. I tipped the crew extra at the end of the trip for their common sense.

I saw a pair of Longimanus at Big Brother island, at the end of a dive, after I'd taken off my dive gear. As I was about to get out of the water, the only other diver still in the water called out that he could see a couple of oceanic white tips right under the boat. I poked my head under water, and sure enough, they were right there, looking right at me, super interested. I yelled at the boat crew to hand me my camera, but they wisely told me to get the hell back on the boat, insisting that being on the surface with no dive gear on and two oceanic white tips right below me was not a good place to be. I tipped the crew extra at the end of the trip for their common sense.

I saw 2 Longimanus at Big / Small Brother Island too under the boat at the end of our dive, but they were not interested to us and swam away as divers started to fin closer to the boat, so I didn't get as good video of them as the one I took at Elphinstone.

Finally I'll have a chance to see Tiger shark in November. Captain Scott of Dolphin Dream got a special permission from the Bahamas for no quarantine and no pre-test, as long as nobody gets off the boat. :D

Tiger Shark Expedition 31 Oct - 6 Nov, 2020

Longimanus and threshers at Daedelus today. Thermocline was too deep for hammerheads. Nothing even down at 180 ft

Longimanus and threshers at Daedelus today. Thermocline was too deep for hammerheads. Nothing even down at 180 ft

Hi Ministry, can I ask how you got to Egypt? Any problems with airlines, entry requirements, getting to your liveaboard, etc? Looking at a return trip to Egypt as soon as possible and would appreciate any intel.

I flew Toronto to Cairo and then on to hurghadha on egyptair. Needed a clear result 72 hours before flying. Zero issues. I actually did the first one with emperor superior and got my own ride to the port (10 mins- I have a guy) and the Divemaster drove me down from hurghadha to port Ghalib to get the emperor elite on the changeover day and they are driving me back to hurghadha tomorrow am. Transfers are arranged if you need them, zero stress. If I were you I would be catching the Egypt air from NY. I believe they are flying again. When are you looking to come? I am happy to advise and I have no loyalty to any boat particularly. The last two weeks have been as close to luxury as you are going to get. 2 x 7 divers on boats with usual 24 capacity. Dive sites all to ourselves. There are several people who are down here just bouncing between boats each week.checking what is sailing on the day before their current boat docks and then just jumping on the boats that are sailing. It’s ‘glory days’. ( global situation aside)
Emperor elite is sailing tomorrow with 5 divers I believe.

I flew Toronto to Cairo and then on to hurghadha on egyptair. Needed a clear result 72 hours before flying. Zero issues. I actually did the first one with emperor superior and got my own ride to the port (10 mins- I have a guy) and the Divemaster drove me down from hurghadha to port Ghalib to get the emperor elite on the changeover day and they are driving me back to hurghadha tomorrow am. Transfers are arranged if you need them, zero stress. If I were you I would be catching the Egypt air from NY. I believe they are flying again. When are you looking to come? I am happy to advise and I have no loyalty to any boat particularly. The last two weeks have been as close to luxury as you are going to get. 2 x 7 divers on boats with usual 24 capacity. Dive sites all to ourselves. There are several people who are down here just bouncing between boats each week.

Outside of the very low capacity, how is the Emperor Superior? I was originally scheduled on that boat for this month, but moved to this time next year. Just wondering what you thought of the boat and the crew. I realize things can change in a year, but insight / feedback is appreciated.

Oh and how was Egypt Air -- I've crossed them off my list of potential airlines (even though they always seem to have award seat availability) due to on-line reviews that their business class product is very dated, their in-flight entertainment is old and their seats are middle of the road at best.

thanks

Back
Top Bottom