Red Sea (Egypt) closed (covid-19 confined)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, generally not much of a ‘call/haggle’ type of deal... generally very decent over email, this was the response to ‘ I need rooms, what do you have for me’
241769B1-1FC7-4156-AA77-9E5195DE77B7.jpeg

[...] It's a matter of dates selected, I'm getting 757 for 8-15 October but 1190$ for 22 to 29 October.
First they are no locals at the Breakers, or only very few.
Second, i know the link you share and had a look again.
Here is what i get - see screen shot below. i would recommend moving to another booking site or as @Ministryofgiraffes said: deal directly with them.
upload_2020-10-6_0-14-12.png

Indeed going down to about 100$ per room per night half board for 2 persons (as in the e-mail offer) sounds more realistic.

As for the locals, trust me I was amazed in August to see that Sharm hotels essentially relied on them and on tourists from Ukraine to stay open. I'm not saying it's the same at the Breakers but I wouldn't be too shocked if it was.

Indeed going down to about 100$ per room per night half board for 2 persons (as in the e-mail offer) sounds more realistic.

As for the locals, trust me I was amazed in August to see that Sharm hotels essentially relied on them and on tourists from Ukraine to stay open. I'm not saying it's the same at the Breakers but I wouldn't be too shocked if it was.

Nah, $100 USD per night for 2 half board would be too cheap for the breakers IMO. It’s not ‘all inclusive’ level food by any stretch...much better than that. The breakfast is 4* euro hotel standard.

I think I paid around $100 for 2 for the pick albatross for the night after a liveaboard in hurgh once and I never will again...

you might get the breakers for 100€ a night for 2...that would be a fair/decent deal IMO. one tip though, if you do go, book 1 dive in advance, then you can add all/any other dives at the internet rate as opposed to the onsite rate

I should add that I stayed at the Oberoi sal hasheesh for 2 nights last week after my 2nd liveaboard. It was pretty great if you want to be a little more pampered. All individual suites in their own buildings, it was very quiet though, although apparently the shore diving there is very good, but I was 48 dives in for the trip, so preferred to sit by the pool. I’ll be staying there again next year for my ‘changeover’ day just for their Indian restaurant which was absolutely excellent.

Nah, $100 USD per night for 2 half board would be too cheap for the breakers IMO. It’s not ‘all inclusive’ level food by any stretch...much better than that. The breakfast is 4* euro hotel standard.

I'm talking about the current situation, there are very few customers from Europe and North America. Plus keep in mind that the level of all inclusive food can vary wildly. Last Feb I spent a week just with my wife in Magic Life Sharm for about 100euros per night and they have international drinks in AI plus things like proper espresso and so on. It was cheaper then staying at home :D

Two nights in 2010 during lengthy Egypt tour. I chose it at the time because I wanted to get a first hand impression, as I had some friends who were raving about it.
Haven't returned so far. They were definitely going overboard with crazy prices for bottled water and whatnot. That was a major problem as I was there during the summer and there was pretty much nothing outside the hotel. From this perspective it really felt like a tourist trap.
I saw now on their website that they are offering free bottled water, probably someone in the management finally came to their senses.
Dinner was pretty good back then but seriously, it wasn't something to write home about.

Again, the local presence came as surprising to me this summer in Sharm. If we are to compare oranges with oranges we would need someone who was at the Breakers this summer as well.

Also, generally not much of a ‘call/haggle’ type of deal... generally very decent over email, this was the response to ‘ I need rooms, what do you have for me’
View attachment 616327

Same deal as last year before the Time of Covid

Two nights in 2010 [...]
Again, the local presence came as surprising to me this summer in Sharm. If we are to compare oranges with oranges we would need someone who was at the Breakers this summer as well.
I guess they were closed this summer, so may be difficult.
I can compare Soma Bay with Dahab - huge difference in terms of locals: many in Dahab, none at the Breakers when i was there.
But you're right, things may have changed, esp. since 2010.:wink:
I heard about the one with the water bottles as well: this was always one of the major criticism. Stefan was aware of that and was looking for alternatives, but told us it was difficult to get a supplier providing constant quality. Looks like they found someone in the meantime.

Back
Top Bottom