Red Sea: Egypt or Sudan for a bucket list trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I an thinking about the Red Sea this summer. This might be my only trip here so I want to get the best of the best. I have been reading and it seems like the Sudan deep south itineraries go to the most remote and relatively unexplored sites. But, the classic Egypt sites like Brothers-Dedaelous-Elphinstone seem very well regarded, as do many of the sites at the Sinai.

I should say my priorities, in order, with the first 3 the most important:

1. Hard and soft corals-color!
2. Abundant tropical fish and macro
3. Abundant schooling pelagics and also sharks
4. Unique things like swimming with dolphins/dugongs
5. For this trip, wrecks are not high on my list, but I won't turn them down..

I am a highly experienced diver (2000+ dives, and about 20-40 dives per year the last few years), solo and rescue certified, in good shape (60 years old), a photographer, and used to all sorts of warm water diving conditions including strong current diving, walls, deep recreational diving, night diving, shark diving and similar.

The deep south Sudan sounds more like exploration diving where things might be pristine and a real adventure. But, I don't want a romantic notion to lead me to choose this itinerary if the "regular" sites are even better.

So, for those of you who have been to both areas--what is your recommendation? Dive travel agents are also welcome to weigh in.

Thanks!

There are other factors to consider in addition to the diving. Since, according to your info, it appears you are in (from) Florida, here is something to keep in mind, right now, the US State Department Travel Advisory for Sudan states (in part) to "Reconsider travel to Sudan due to terrorism and civil unrest." Egypt's Advisory states (in Part): "Exercise increased caution in Egypt due to terrorism."

There are also similar sites from the Government of Canada, and the UK where they each give their country's perspectives.

Ultimately, only you are able to determine whether you choose to travel to a given region, but it is always best to make an informed decision based on as much info as possible.

The Sudan(s) has always been on the lists of countries to not visit. The truth is that it is a vast area and the conflict zones have been very far from the Sudanese Red Sea area. But as hoag say, you have to make up your own mind. Make an informed decision. It’s not a tourist destination and infrastructure like health is almost non existent.
I don’t know the exact number of visiting divers annually, but it’s more than 500, probably closer to 1000.
I’ve been there a few times, even overnighted in Port Sudan when the civil war raged in the south. Never heard anything about any incidents re visiting westerners.
Nowadays you can also dive Sudan w/o actually setting foot on land.
Anyways, politics aside, I have dived all the places you mention except the most southern Suakin Islands. And the Sudan is easily my choice for all the reasons you mention. Soft coral would be a draw. Any diver wishing to see some of the best mother earth has to offer should have the Sudanese Red Sea on their bucket list.
With that mentioned, Brothers, Ras Mohamed, Deadalus, Zabargad/Rocky etc. also offer great diving. Sometimes very high class. Sudan should be dived in spring (March-May), Egypt in summer for the best diving inme. Avoid fall in Sudan and winter in Egypt as the diving generally is a little less interesting.
Also, it was almost 15 years since my last visit in Port Sudan. Some things may have changed. A lot are the same.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom