Red Sea Liveaboard (BDE route). Any phone signal for internet use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Santsupa

Registered
Reaction score
Im going to the Red sea LOB, Brother Daedalus Elphinstone route. I wonder if these areas have any phone signal for internet use? Which mobile operator should be best?

You might get a signal at Elphinstone, but none at the Brothers, or Daedalus.
Most of your week you will be out of contact.
Some boats have WiFi, but it only works with a phone signal.

I'm piggy backing onto this post if the OP doesn't mind.....What's the best local provider to use? (Which SIM card should I buy if I am looking for good reception in Hurghada, Marsa Alam, Luxor, and Cairo? Bonus points if it will also work in Jordan....)

Thanks!

I'm piggy backing onto this post if the OP doesn't mind.....What's the best local provider to use? (Which SIM card should I buy if I am looking for good reception in Hurghada, Marsa Alam, Luxor, and Cairo? Bonus points if it will also work in Jordan....)

Thanks!
My GSM Verizon phone with prn international service using home minutes at a fixed daily rate worked perfectly in Cairo, along the Nile when there was a signal, Luxor, Aswan, Abu Simbel, Hurghada, Marsa Alam/Port Ghalib, and out in the Red Sea when there was a signal. Sorry, don't know about Jordan, but would guess yes.

Best Prepaid International SIM card for Egypt | finder.com

Q: Can Egyptian SIM cards be used throughout the Middle East region?
A: Egyptian SIM cards can be used in other Middle Eastern countries, subject to additional roaming charges, but that defeats the object of purchasing a local SIM card. We advise you to only use the Egyptian SIM card in Egypt, to reap the full benefits of what it can offer. If you plan on traveling around the Arab nations, it would be advisable to purchase a SIM card from each country you visit to cut costs.

No firsthand information, I'm afraid. I used to buy prepaid local SIM cards when traveling internationally, but nowadays our US providers seem to offer reasonable international rates, so I haven't bought a local SIM in a few years.

My GSM Verizon phone with prn international service using home minutes at a fixed daily rate worked perfectly in Cairo, along the Nile when there was a signal, Luxor, Aswan, Abu Simbel, Hurghada, Marsa Alam/Port Ghalib, and out in the Red Sea when there was a signal. Sorry, don't know about Jordan, but would guess yes.

Thanks for the info! I know that this is possible but getting a local SIM inevitably ends up being much, much cheaper for me. I know Verizon/ATT starts it at $10 per day per device and then actual talk/text/data depends on the individual plan. I would definitely do it if I were only there for a couple of days but I will be on land for about 13 days so I think it's better value (and probably much more data/voice, etc. as well) by doing it with a local SIM.

Best Prepaid International SIM card for Egypt | finder.com

Q: Can Egyptian SIM cards be used throughout the Middle East region?
A: Egyptian SIM cards can be used in other Middle Eastern countries, subject to additional roaming charges, but that defeats the object of purchasing a local SIM card. We advise you to only use the Egyptian SIM card in Egypt, to reap the full benefits of what it can offer. If you plan on traveling around the Arab nations, it would be advisable to purchase a SIM card from each country you visit to cut costs.

No firsthand information, I'm afraid. I used to buy prepaid local SIM cards when traveling internationally, but nowadays our US providers seem to offer reasonable international rates, so I haven't bought a local SIM in a few years.

Hi, @Lorenzoid. I think what I'll do is buy a local SIM for use in Egypt and then just scrap it for Jordan. As @scubadada suggested, I will then use the day access fee for Jordan since I'm only there for 1-2 days. I think that's the easiest, happy medium. :) Thanks, guys! If anyone has a specific SIM/carrier they want to recommend I am all ears. I will also be heading out to BDE (as well as Zabargad, Rocky) like the OP, @Santsupa.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom