Red Sea LoB thoughts for March 2020?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jennilee913

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone.

We're in the final stages of deciding which LOB to book for our trip in March 2020. (YAY!) Our LOB departure date is firm for end of March since we already have our flights.

Any thoughts on routes? I've seen many similar posts, but nothing that has been specific to spring time. We're torn between North and South, but since we'll be there in March i don't believe it's HH season in the South. :( The wrecks and reefs route sounds fun, as does the Brothers and North route. We're thinking of taking BDE out of the running due to the season. If we're going South we'd prefer a season higher chance of seeing HH and other pelagics.

This website has been great and I have a new, warm suit ready for this trip! :)

Where are you flying to? If you fly to Hurghada, I'd opt for North (try go get one that goes to Ras Mohammed); I would not bother either getting a transfer to Port Ghalib or take the long boat ride South.
As for hammer heads, there is no specific season, and your are less likly to seem them on a trip south, as Fury Shoals and St. Johns are not know for big fish. You are best chances are usually on a BDE trip.
Take a warm suit with you (for me March is still dry suit season), and warm clothes, as it can be quite nippy with water around 22C and a constant wind.

Where are you flying to? If you fly to Hurghada, I'd opt for North (try go get one that goes to Ras Mohammed); I would not bother either getting a transfer to Port Ghalib or take the long boat ride South.
As for hammer heads, there is no specific season, and your are less likly to seem them on a trip south, as Fury Shoals and St. Johns are not know for big fish. You are best chances are usually on a BDE trip.
Take a warm suit with you (for me March is still dry suit season), and warm clothes, as it can be quite nippy with water around 22C and a constant wind.

Thanks for the info! We haven't picked where we're flying into. The LOB we chose will help us decide our travel/flights to port. Though Hurghada and Sharm have the most internal flights from Cairo. We are definitely about maximizing the time we have in Egypt. North will probably be our choice, either Wrecks and Reefs or Sinai. We'll save BDE until my partner gets the 50 dives under his belt, and is more comfortable with open water drops. I forget that not everyone loves to float around in the blue. :)

And yes! Purchased an 8mm just for this trip, and will be bringing my shark skins and possibly a probe frog skin (since they're so highly recommended on this site). I'll be trying the 8mm out in CA for some dives before the trip, hopefully it works. If not, I'll be going semi-dry.

Don't be surprised if you see dry suits on the boat. And don't expect to see hammerheads in Egypt in spring. It is possible, but not that common. And there actually is a season for them in Egypt and contrary to common belief it is the summer months, starting in June, and the best spot for encounters has historically been Deadalus Reef. Brothers also fairly reliable and Elphinstone every now and then (during summer). I have seen a few off Rocky Island as well and the back of Jackson Reef in the Strait of Tiran in high summer. For reliable hammerhead encounters in March, you need to move further south into the Sudanese Red Sea. I have seen schools there of more than 50 sharks in March in a few spots in the Suakin Archipelago, off Sanganeb North, Sha ab Rumi and also up near the pinnacle of Um El Kurush/Angarosh.
Don't forget a hoodie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom