Red Sea (South) May/June Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USC8791

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all. My wife and I are considering a South (St. Johns) LOB in May or June. This will be our first trip to the Red Sea. Based on threads it seems that most folks here on SB seem to dive the Red Sea in the Jul/Aug or Oct to Dec time frames. Any reason to avoid May/June? I realize the water will be a little cooler than Aug, but appears to be the same as later in the year. Any difference in sea conditions?

I’m leaning South because I prefer colorful coral. My wife prefers big animals, but we just returned from Fakarava, so hopefully the shark thirst has been quenched. And we can see sharks whenever needed off our own coast (NC wrecks). But, we should probably consider a more slightly northern route (Brothers etc...). How does the soft coral in these areas compare to St. John’s?

One last question; any thoughts on the Serpent fleet of liveaboards?

Thanks so much!

My wife and I are going next June 20-27 and will be doing the southern route to St. John's. That route appeals to us more for some of the reasons you shared. I have gone back through the Captain's Logs for the Aggressor Fleet for a number of years looking at the water temps, visibility and overall conditions for June and they seem to be quite nice, particularly for the southern route, where water temps are a few degrees warmer than up north. Low 80's for the most part and great visibility.

We went the last week of May 2018.

We did the best of best route out of hurghada (BDE). The coolest water temp was around 76F or 77F maybe a couple minutes below a thermo at 75F at the offshore sites like brothers. Any of the close in sites(in view of shore) were closer to 80F. The crossing was a little rough maybe 1 of the 6 nights. However that was only a big impact for my daughter who had a cabin on the top deck where you are really moving around. She came down to the cabin my wife and I shared that night and was much more comfortable (if perhaps a bit crowded). We were lowest deck, middle of the boat. Down there it was a reasonable rocking motion during that night.

We were looking for the sharks so it was great. Someone else will have to comment on your route but I would go back and do that week again without hesitation.

Incidentally the best of best was great for sharks, and the napoleon wrasse but not the best for the colorful reef dives you are looking for. However we go to cozumel for that all the time.

Just returned from a week long liveaboard to the Red Sea--St. Johns (Sept 21-28th). When I booked my trip Brothers was closed so went with St. Johns--not again would I go there. The diving was meh to me--corals are mostly hard potato corals and the lack of fish life really surprised me--like almost none except the very small reef fish. The first two days of the trip were very windy (35 knots) and the eleven hour night crossing to St. Johns was brutal--no one slept that night. After that the winds calmed down and the weather was perfect---water 82 degrees and the air the same. We went from St. Johns to Fury Shoals--pretty much a repeat of St. Johns. Then cruised up to Elphinstone reef which made the trip--White Tip sharks. Two dives there---first dive off south plateau (125 feet) looking for sharks--nothing--second dive we hung out at 20 feet close to the boats (all 9 of them) and the sharks started showing up--six or seven and they checked out just about every diver--lots of close encounters and great pics. Used M/Y Amelia boat--it was ok but food was so-so--plenty of it but not much variety--cabins small but that's to be expected. Crew was great. Next time it's either BDE or Wrecks and Reefs. Guess I need to post a trip report or did I just post one lol. One more note--not a current to be found--even at Elphinstone.

The Red Sea is very seasonal. Temperatures a big factor and wind a huge one. Currents important part if you are after the big fish. These factors can't be controlled, but they can be somewhat predicted. Strong wind is possible at any time but are normally more prevailing when the season is changing,..
In Egypt (there are several countries surrounding the Red Sea and what's true up north is different to the south)--(MARINE PARK ISLANDS) go in June (as late as possible, JUNE/JULY best) and inmo, St Johns not that interesting. A normal Brothers/Deadalus/Elphinstone safari* usually the best for you as experienced divers. Late June is normally a great time as the sea is a little calmer with the arrival of summer and ... hammerheads. If you want to see hammerhead sharks, it's in summer. NOT in fall/winter/spring. The general idea is they prefer cold water, but ... Egyptian waters are cold compared to e.g Yemeni, Eritrean or the Sudanese Red Sea. These guys move around. Current is what will make them come up through the water column. Oceanic Whitetips, late September-December. For the most beatiful and colorful (soft)coral -- inmo Brother Islands (and Sinai). My personal favorite itinerary in Egypt is Sinai (Thistlegorm+RasMo)+Tiran Strait+Brother Islands. Don't know who's offering it coming season, but Blue O Two used to have it. Probably Emperor too. Think it was called North and Brothers or such.

*Brothers has unfortunaelly a restriction re over nighting due to a couple of shark incidents in fall 2018. Which is a pity as this is the spot where you'd normally want to spend a few days. I have no news as of when this will be revoked and go back to 'normal', but would be surpised if it doesn't happen during 2020.

Was supposed to do a southern itinerary a couple years ago as the second half of a back to back treip. Closed by the military - was told that this is quite common. Ended up doing the major reefs (Elphinstone and Daedalus) twice which in the end was probably better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom