Red & white dive flag - a short history

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because the International Alpha flag did not mean "I have a diver down; keep well clear at slow speed" when the red & white flag was invented. The Alpha Flag meant "restricted maneuverability" so normal rules of the road for collision avoidance couldn't be followed. It wasn't until years later that "diving operations" was added to the definition.

That makes sense.

Although, the actual definition is
A vessel engaged in dredging or underwater operations, when restricted in her ability to manoeuvre.

Underwater operatons, and dredging are activities that have been carried out well before the advent of SCUBA and recreational diving. So one would have assumed the signal was already used to diving operations (Hard Hat).

There is a slight caveat to that, in that the use of the ALPHA flag is mentioned in Rule 27 section (e), which is for small vessels where the previously specified signals are impractical due to the boat size.
I don't know when section (e) was added to the Rule 27.

Hard Hat diving, and the related equipment, might have meant that the boat sizes weren't so small that the normal signals couldn't be used. But then the British where using very small boats with dive teams to enter sunken U boats during both world wars to gather intelligence (code books etc).

Glad you posted, had no idea.

"Traditional diving dress" or Standard diving dress I believe are the other phrases used.

see

The conversation is purely academic, I have always found it curious that the international community has one signal, and North America adopted a unique signal (which is not one of the original international signal flags). I assume, originally, the US Navy must have used one of the 'standard' signals, prior to the introduction of the new flag in the 50/60's.

Although, the actual definition is
A vessel engaged in dredging or underwater operations, when restricted in her ability to manoeuvre.

It depends on the definition for maritime flags you are using. The "Alpha" or "Alfa" flag is not under the exclusive control of a single regulatory body. The primary one is International Code of Signals and the current definition is "I have a diver down; keep well clear at slow speed" -- as near as I can determine. I do remember your definition above was dominant in the early 1970s but can't find when it formally changed. I'll ask by old friend, @Captain Tim if he knows.

The U.S. Navy Signal Flags definition is in-line with the International Code of Signals. Various states in the US specify the Red & White diver down flag.

@Sam Miller III has a fantastic draft that documents the chronology of the Red & White diver down flag. He just needs the time to polish it up a little. :poke:

As I understand it the current marine 'rules' came into force in 1972, set by the IMO. Each nation is required to have a national authority or agency that enacts the regulations into law in the territories they have legal responsibility for and over vessels sailing under their flag. Each authority can enact additional rules, as long as they don't conflict with the IMO rules.
Prior to that it was the SOLAS rules agreed in 1948.
The co-operation is long standing, interestingly it was President Lincoln that signed the British Board of Trade rules into Law in the USA in the 1860's. Both prior to this and since, the UK and USA have mirrored there rules.

It was the advent of steam powered vessels that initiated the attempt to set a uniformed set of rules. Prior to this it was a free for all, not only internationally, but nationally. Each vessel determined its own lights, and navigation rules!
The first set where set out in 1840, and became law in 1846 in the UK, and all UK territories. These where set out by Trinity House in what became the Steam Navigation Act 1846. It was following this that Congress started to mirror the UK rules.
From what I have read it was 1850 when the USA formally adopted English Maritime Law in the USA.

As I say, its an academic interest, and I am in no way an expert. In most cases I would have to look up the rule. I am an armchair sailor, not a real one :).

Awesome video. Thanks for posting!

It looks like he was diving in chocolate milk. I bet there was no thumbing of those dives. You just submerge, slog your way through your shift and come back up relieved to have made it through another day.

Awesome video. Thanks for posting!

It looks like he was diving in chocolate milk. I bet there was no thumbing of those dives. You just submerge, slog your way through your shift and come back up relieved to have made it through another day.

You might find this link interesting: A Brief History of Diving (before 1943)

I assume, originally, the US Navy must have used one of the 'standard' signals, prior to the introduction of the new flag in the 50/60's.

I found some indication in a US Navy Diving Manual from the 1940s that the Bravo Flag "might" have been used. It basically listed the flag in a dive gear checklist. The current meaning is "I am taking in or discharging or carrying dangerous goods." (Originally used by the Royal Navy specifically for military explosives). I suppose that is as good a way to keep other vessels away as any. I often thought that a few of these would work as well or better than any dive flag.

upload_2018-8-20_7-11-13.png

Thank you Sam for the historical piece. Always enjoy and learn from your posts.

Thank you Akimbo for the link to History of Diving.
Thank you Gareth for the very nice video.

Back
Top Bottom