redundant air at less than 30'?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I have a question for all of those "CESA" solo divers...

What if Dr. Bill's valve suddenly stopped providing air at the end of his exhalation?

Hi Doc Harry,

I guess I qualify as one of the "CESA" guys based on my previous posts :wink: ?? (But I do sometimes sling an AL30).

I'm assuming that a true emergency CESA will often be done on "empty" lungs (and I think that is what Dr. Bill experienced, if I remember his original post about it a couple years ago).... In other words you've exhaled, the "mechanical failure" occurs, then you suddenly discover there is nothing to inhale, so the CESA begins with "emptied" lungs.

But from 30', which is little more than casual snorkeling depth, most folks will be able to swim up at a normal rate, even with empty lungs, if they begin immediately and stay calm.

The consideration, at least the way I look at it: Is there anything about the dive site that would potentially prevent me from swimming directly to the surface from 30'?

If the answer is yes, then a pony is certainly prudent; but I honestly wouldn't dive a site like that solo. If I feel the need to carry a pony on a dive with a max depth of 30', then the dive site is too hazardous for me to be diving solo.

And once again, I'm not anti-pony, just pro-good judgement.

Best wishes.

Opinions are what make us who we are today, but im open to ideas to improve how i dive because quite frankly, im not a rocket scientist and even those guys went through school.

yep bob, this is keystone im talking about. Its easy to me but not always easy for everyone. Some divers can't even fight the mild current we have, with a buddy in the past it has been crazy. So you never know! Just because i haven't had an ooa yet doesn't mean im not susceptible to it. So far i have caught two potential ooa's and after that i have grown scared of diving with certain people(that and buddy separation). Now just like a lot of us i solo for picture taking and that increases ooa chances, i guess that another reason to carry a pony at shallow depths but, its all up to anyone's personal choice.

Thanks for the invite, if im here then, send me an invite. Bob however would have trouble since he doesn't frequent this area much.

Just wanted to say 'TANKS ALOT' for a very informative thread; all bashing aside.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom