• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Redundant / Emergency Buoyancy. Lift Bag vs SMB

Discussion in 'Lift Bags, SMBs and Reels' started by CaveSloth, Jun 5, 2019.

1. CaveSloth

CaveSloth Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Calculations say that I may need 25 lbs of redundant buoyancy in case of BCD failure. I already have a redundant bladder, but want a third buoyancy source. I dive in fresh water spring caverns in Florida mainly. I am a DiveRite fanboy. Should I choose the DiveRite SMB or Lift Bag? SMB has 30 lbs lift. Lift Bag has 75 lbs of lift. Both look like they have dump valves from the pictures. Which would be easier to deploy and use in an overhead environment? Comments on technique would also be appreciated. Thanks!

Dive Rite { 5 ft | 1.5 m } Surface Marking Tube w/Built-in Sleeve

Dive Rite Lift Bag {75 lb | 34 kg} w/Built-In Sleeve

2. chrisch

chrisch Solo Diver

I would think the tube is easiest to use in a confined space - you could inflate it partially and then place it under your chest either end under the arms like a swimming float.

Seems a rather odd thing in an overhead environment to me. A drysuit would be a better choice IMHO.

3. kelemvor

kelemvor Big Fleshy Monster ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Personally, I would choose a dsmb that did not have an open bottom. Seems like the open bottom would make it a lot more difficult to manage when using it not-as-intended.

4. rongoodman

rongoodman ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Unless the SMB is full, the dump valve will be nowhere near where the air is, so not of much use. Why do you think you need three sources of buoyancy, and if so, why not just dive dry?

Lorenzoid likes this.
  5. johndiver999

johndiver999 Manta Ray

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Overhead environment and both means of buoyancy fail- then crawl out of the cavern?

6. CaveSloth

CaveSloth Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Yes, absolutely, one of the few safety advantages of cavern diving.