Reef House Lodge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

turtlegurl

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody recently stay at the Reef House Lodge? The most recent thread I can find is from 2019. We unexpectedly have all of July available and would love to go to Roatan for the first time. We want low stress, fairly economical, and dive focused. Ideally would love CCV but know it's got to be booked up with this short of notice.

It's been several years since I stayed there, but I enjoyed diving there for sure. I see them constantly updating their Facebook with photos so I know they are open, they did however changed up the food to where it's not included in the price and maybe done separately.

I went there (in 2019, it may have been my trip report you saw).

I really liked it there, very quiet, great divemaster (Davit) never went the same place twice, diving much farther east than cocoview generally goes most days where the reef gets a lot less traffic, rarely saw another dive boat. but you have to be up for a rustic experience. this is old school Caribbean, not a modern resort.

It's been several years since I stayed there, but I enjoyed diving there for sure. I see them constantly updating their Facebook with photos so I know they are open, they did however changed up the food to where it's not included in the price and maybe done separately.

My first thought was, it's so remote, where the heck are you supposed to eat? Looking at the site, you will still be eating there most likely, just paying as you go. Room rates are lower. So the light eaters won't be subsidizing the heavy eaters. The rate for room and diving for 2 is $1170 plus tax. The previous rate was $1500. So they are deducting $320 and putting meals on you. Question is, can two people reasonably eat for $320? If they are going that route they should post the menu with pricing online.

By their web page they plan to feed guests and bill at the end of the stay. Last I was there, not many places were in easy reach for dinner. Breakfast and lunch and fitting into the dive schedule, you are pretty much locked in to RH. The upside, according to their site, is what you want when you want it. Yes, they should give at overview of the prices. I suppose one could stop at the stores between the airport and RH and stock up on a few things?

My last couple of trips to RH (4 and 5 years ago?) the ex-pats where whooping it up at the bar in the evenings. If you enjoy a nightly party, no problem. I did not, so I have not returned. A shame because I really enjoyed the east end diving and the RH dive op.

Trip Advisor has some more recent reports, albeit not many. Might give you a bit more insight into the topside angle. If I were considering a stay, what I'd want to know more about is the food...since it seems fairly isolated. If you are a picky eater, a smaller operation might not offer as many options (e.g.: entree choices at a meal) as a larger one, and if you can't just walk next door and eat at another establishment, this is important. Of the 4 most recent Trip Advisor reports, 3 mention food, and variously describe it as 'delicious,' 'tasty' and 'excellent.' So the question is...what's the variety like, and how picky are you?

Those of you who've eaten there, what do you think? Is this an issue, or is there a pretty good range of choices? @baggins_69 @KevinG58

You and I are both cut from the cloth that information is king. The more of it the better. I think every resort should have the kind of details and pics that you provided for CCV recently. I would do that if I owned a resort.

Businesses seldom make changes in pricing model in order to decrease revenues so I suspect, until shown otherwise, that the net result will be paying more. One of their pages listed Breakfast $5, Lunch $10, and Dinner $15. I don't know if that was before the change or still applies, one price for a "meal" no matter what you order.

Their FB page shows a few pics of dishes, mostly whole fish. I like fish but not a fan of whole fish. I don't want to have to pick out the meat from the head and guts. FB also shows their bartender died last month, had been battling pneumonia and lung infection for a month. Covid?

My last couple of trips to RH (4 and 5 years ago?) the ex-pats where whooping it up at the bar in the evenings. If you enjoy a nightly party, no problem. I did not, so I have not returned. A shame because I really enjoyed the east end diving and the RH dive op.

Since you've been, are there water taxis readily available for a few bucks? Looking at google maps there appear to be a number of interesting restaurants nearby with waterfront docking that have nice pics. Kingfish, BJ's Landing, Happy Landing, Mandolin Place.

Trip Advisor has some more recent reports, albeit not many.

As in… 1 in the last 15 months.

TA Forum is not any source for SCUBA related info. That one review is very light on useful information of any relevance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom