Reef House "Resort"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well now, wait a minute. Tend your own bar all week on an honor system with no adult supervision??? What could be wrong with that? Unless, of course, they run out of good scotch. Don't know about the rest, but as far as I'm concerned it's either CoCo View or Anthony's Key on Roatan. No need for me to look any further.

Very strange review. Where was Mike? He is always around and making sure everything is going well. Maybe he had an emergency? No turtles for years. That's just not true.

While in Saba last year we had breakfast with a couple - he dives she does not.

She commented that The Reef House Resort waws the only place they had ever been to that she would not return to. He (the diver) had no issues with it.

BTY: I have never stayed there - like the above post - Coco View meets my needs quite nicely.

In the past when I went to Roatan I found the best place to stay for me was Bay Island Beach Resort. I was really disappointed when they closed down operations. But I called them and Ted told me that he could highly recommend Reef House Resort so a group of 18 of us went there this past September.

Several of us had stayed at the other more well known resorts like CoCoView and AK. Without exception, all 18 people agreed that for the money, the Reef House Resort was the best option. I can only compare it to CoCoView because I have not stayed at AK but two things stood out to me. Number one, the diving in the areas you go to with RHR was superior to the areas you go to with CoCoview. They pretty much have that area of the island all to themselves. Number two, unless CoCoView has improved on the quality/taste of their food, the food at RHR was much better. To me it's not even close on that one. I would probably give CoCoView the nod on rooms but the room I had at RHR was more than adequate.

None of this is to say I didn't enjoy CoCoView because I did. I'd go back there. But the deal Mike gave our group to go to RHR was several hundred dollars (about $300)per person cheaper than going to either of the other resorts. Also, they take you to three DIFFERENT dive sites a day and then you can do all the shore diving you want.

When you look at the reviews on TripAdvisor for RHR you'll find that 92% of the reviews (109 out of 118) rate the place as excellent or very good with the vast majority as being excellent (89).

The reviews for CoCoView give a similar overall number at 90% being excellent or very good (56 out of 62) with 33 being excellent.

And AK also give similar numbers at an 89% rating of either excellent or very good (165 out of 185) with 117 being excellent.

So just looking at all of that, it would be hard to say any one resort stands out above the rest. I just never look at any one review to help me determine where I'm going to stay. I look at the big picture because I know there are always going to be some folks that are harder to please than others.

The bottom line is if you've found a place on Roatan that you really like then by all means stick with it. But if you've never been to Roatan or would like to try some place different, then I can highly recommend Reef House Resort. I don't think you'll find a better value for your dollar.

I read that Trip Advisor report, and it just seems that the writer did not do her homework before the trip. It is not the Ritz, and if that is what she wanted, she should have looked elsewhere. I don't recall ever seeing a report that says the Reef House is anything but what it is; laid back, rustic, just a great place to eat, sleep, dive, repeat often.:D:D

We are going back for our second trip, so it's obvious that we really hate it there.

Hi, I've been to both Reef House and Coco View, and I was at Reef House just a month ago.

I was in a "overflow" room Mike the owner / operator rents as needed, so I can't comment on the regular rooms. Mine was adequate with a very comfy bed, and well kept.

The dinning room was in good shape and clean, the food outstanding at dinner, good at breakfast and lunch, and snacks were set out after the afternoon boat dive.

The dive operation is not Coco view. Mike was running both boats in the morning and then in the afternoon would combine those going out again onto one boat. I completely understand the motive of reducing operating costs, and it's only a pain when you are one of the boat-switchers, but it is something you don't have to deal with at CCV.

Once you get out there, Daveet (and in the morning Mike too) is a great divemaster and guide. One diver in our group had a (non-rental) equipment malfunction near the end of a dive and Mike did an excellent job dealing with the situation.

One boat uses a side ladder that worked out a little better than I though it would, the other a swim platform that works well. I just handed up my BC then hauled out like a sea lion at the end of each dive.

Conditions allowing, at some point during the week a night dive is substituted for a afternoon dive.

Shore diving is not as easy as CCV. The dive locker area is locked at night so previous arrangements must be made to get your gear, not a show stopper but you may not be able to go out on a whim in the morning. It's a hump from the shop to the access point on the dock, a cart is provided to haul your gear though. A south or southeast wind can make entry / exit a little sporty, the steps at the dock lead right into shallow coral heads. I opted out but several others made it without too much trouble.

No vendors, etc. at RH. Mike or one of his employees will purchase some items and bring them out but I had no need to explore that option.

I will be going back to RH. I will also be going back to CCV. Each place has it's appeal.

Reef House Resort sounds like a place we would enjoy. I am intrigued by the east end of Roatan and anxious to try the diving there...so far have only sampled Calvin's Crack.

Besides one with a side entry ladder and one with a dive platform, what are the boats like at RHR? How many divers per boat and how spacious?

Reef House Resort sounds like a place we would enjoy. I am intrigued by the east end of Roatan and anxious to try the diving there...so far have only sampled Calvin's Crack.

Besides one with a side entry ladder and one with a dive platform, what are the boats like at RHR? How many divers per boat and how spacious?

Reef House Resort Roatan pictures by Doc_Adelman - Photobucket

Just to add, they no longer use the smaller boat for diving that holds 5 or 6 folks. They purchased one of the dive boats from BIBR and use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom