Reel line replacement interval

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJCBS

Live to dive! Dive to live!
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So what is the proper interval to replace reel line on dsmb's and other reels? Also should a diver doing anything special during after dive clean up with them? Thank you in advance.

no set interval for line replacement. It all depends on how quick it degrades. If it's out in the sun, in a pool, etc. it will be faster than if it's in a cave, but there is no telling. Only replace when it starts showing serious signs of wear. On a normal reel it will likely go a decade or more with normal usage.

After a dive, if in salt, you should let it soak in fresh water. When I say soak, I do mean soak, hours not minutes to let the salt come out, particularly if it is nylon. Overnight is ideal, preferably with an aquarium pump moving the water around. All of your gear can benefit from this, but that's besides the point.

After the soak, or even before, you should unreel it at least as far as you used it on the dive. When you are reeling back in the line can twist, doesn't always lay down properly, uneven tension, etc. so unreeling it at least as far as you took it out, then reeling it back properly puts proper tension on the line, straightens it out, and allows it to lay down properly. You can also inspect it for any signs of wear that may have occurred during the dive. After that, let it dry all the way out before putting it in a gear bin

After a dive, if in salt, you should let it soak in salt water. When I say soak, I do mean soak, hours not minutes to let the salt come out,

I'm sure TBone meant freshwater.

@tbone1004 meant soak it in fresh water. You want to get the salt out if the line.

As for re-spooling it afterwards, I built a little jig that's got two tension bars that hold the line taught and use a drill to wind it. Super fast, super easy. Doesn't work for reels unfortunately, but still easier to do it than trying to do it by hand.

As for a total replacement of line, rarely. If something happens and it gets super crappy, I'll re-do it. I have reels that have been diving longer than I have that still have the original line. I have spools that have line replaced in 6 months due to cheap line and UV exposure.

The best answer is "when it needs it."

I haven't replaced my line since I bought the reel in 2001. I was going to run some line out the other day. Then, we started talking to pretty girls and forgot all about it. Which is weird. Because, line and pretty girls can go together like peanut butter and chocolate.

I soak mine after every dive, fresh or salt - lakes here are a bit dirty and the line can get gross. After soaking I pull the line out and lay it across the lawn to dry. Once dry I wind it back in. Never had to replace the line.

I soak mine after every dive, fresh or salt - lakes here are a bit dirty and the line can get gross. After soaking I pull the line out and lay it across the lawn to dry. Once dry I wind it back in. Never had to replace the line.

sun is REALLY bad for nylon line btw. It degrades very quickly with UV so you don't want to lay it out to dry if you can help it. Hanging it up in a bathroom or somewhere with a dehumidifier is fine. No reason to fully unwind them to dry either, they'll dry out pretty much overnite

33C8C9CB-6B93-4318-A42B-B475B3607705.jpeg
I replaced all my reels line with 300 pound test neon Dacron line. Yes it is a little stiffer, but you get used to it.

sun is REALLY bad for nylon line btw.

If/when it degrades I'll replace it. It's typically only out at the end of the day, central NY isn't known for strong sun (even in summer there's a strong slant to the rays), and the convienence means more to me than the nominal cost of replacing the line. I've been doing this for a few years and haven't had to replace any line yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom