Reels - Kent Tooling Primary Vs Larry Green Primary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For deco, shooting a lift bag in open water the Manta is spot on. It took me a long time to get one but it works excellent. JR. Reel - Manta Industries & Highseas Millwork Manta Industries & Highseas Millwork

For an excellent primary and all around reel, (running a line in the cave, wreck, lift bag ops, etc) I still stand by my OMS reel. I have had it since 2004 and it has never let me down. It has an anti spill over guard and a feather touch stop when running the reel. I feel that all it lacks is the auto stop that the Manta has. If you drop it, then it is going all the way to the bottom, whereas the Manta will only go a couple feet. OMS Product Reviews and Ratings - Reels - OMS Primary Reel with guard insert -- 330 ft. from Leisure Pro

OMS reel - Google Search

I have a KT ratchet primary. It is just beautiful, in the way of the solid things from the 1900. Mine has seen terrible conditions inside wrecks and is not even scratched on its surface.

With thin default line and if you are careless you might be able to tangle it. I am using very thick line (only 50 metres of it fit instead of the default 150 of the thin line), to feel it with cold water gloves. It never got tangled as there would not be enough space for any issue.

My guess is that if you don't lose it, you will have it still in 50 years.

KT reels are great, would not use anything else, I have two of them, so well designed and built, virtually indestructible. Now I say virtually indestructible, as I did destroy one of mine. The storey goes, I was sitting on the gunwale of a boat preparing to roll over the side clipped my KT ratchet reel off to my crutch ring. Rolled over the side the KT reel got caught on the lip of the gunwale, I was left hanging momentarily until the reel gave way!!! If it had not given way I would have been left hanging upside down over the side of the boat, in a most precarious position. Ended up buckling the spool, shaft and backing plate.

KT reels are great, would not use anything else, I have two of them, so well designed and built, virtually indestructible. Now I say virtually indestructible, as I did destroy one of mine. The storey goes, I was sitting on the gunwale of a boat preparing to roll over the side clipped my KT ratchet reel off to my crutch ring. Rolled over the side the KT reel got caught on the lip of the gunwale, I was left hanging momentarily until the reel gave way!!! If it had not given way I would have been left hanging upside down over the side of the boat, in a most precarious position. Ended up buckling the spool, shaft and backing plate.

Oh...wow.... That's why I don't roll off with reels clipped there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom