Reels/Spools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jafo123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I haven't had the need for one yet. I am thinking about getting one or the other for shooting a Bag or SMB. My question is which one is used for what purpose. Is it just what you prefer to use? Is there a reason why you use one over the other? Are there reasons which one to you use and for what purposes? I have done a search and found nothing definitive.

I haven't had the need for one yet. I am thinking about getting one or the other for shooting a Bag or SMB. My question is which one is used for what purpose. Is it just what you prefer to use? Is there a reason why you use one over the other? Are there reasons which one to you use and for what purposes? I have done a search and found nothing definitive.

It's certainly possible to shoot a bag with a reel, but it's easier with a finger spool. Finger spools are much, much less likely to foul.
If you are new to SMB's I'd suggest a finger spool.

Reels, OTOH are nice when you have a lot of line to recover. A handle and crank are welcome features when you have more than ~100-200 ft of line to recover.

Tobin

I use a finger spool because it is more streamline and simple, and most of all the cost difference, you can get a nice spool from Dive Sports for under $20.00 and no i don't work for dive sports - just use them to buy all my toys.

Also, when you use your spool, you can use a double ender to assist in winding the line back on the spool as you ascend. When you are done, you use the double ender to clip one side to the spool and line in such a way that it cannot easily be accidentally detached or the line unspool, and the other end to clip to a D ring or clip inside a pocket.

The ability to shoot a lift bag or SMB can be a great aid in trying to perform deco or simply perform a safety stop in low visibility if there are no other line references in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom