Reels Versus Spools?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EireDiver606

Contributor
Reaction score
COLDWATER DIVING ONLY:

Hi guys,
On my fundies course, I was taught how to do smb with spool (28 dives), in extremely easy conditions.

Now that I’m back in cold water and not a holiday destination I need to sort out my gear in regards to smb deployment.

I have a 15m Apeks lifeline spool which is very well made, but I find it harder to hold onto than normal plastic ones I don’t know if this was due to the cold biting my fingers. Apeks spool isn’t long enough as I prefer to shoot my smb from depth as we have a bit of current over here that can be 6m/1 sec and also drops straight down if you drop it as it’s aluminium there’s 1 second to catch and then it’s gone. I like how small and simple the spools are and normal ones are much cheaper than reels. I found once I was cold or had gloves on, it was very hard to shoot the smb with my spool, I don’t know if this was due to being in midwater in a strong current and a 4m swells in 10 degrees but it definitely didn’t feel great on my hands in terms of dexterity even without gloves as they were starting to become cold.

Anyway: I want around 50m of line and I worried that it will be hard to ascend from 40m winding a spool the entire time? And if it comes undone....

Reels:
I don’t have any. All the divers in Ireland use reels pretty much. They are a lot bigger and clunkier. But are a LOT easier if you have gloves on.

What do tech divers use? I want opinions on what you guys in cold water use and why you use it. Ideally I’d probably be looking for something halfway between a reel and a spool maybe but I’m not sure....

Or maybe I just need to get better used to spools with gloves on?

Depends on depth and current. If I'm shooting from deeper a reel is nice. From shallower either works. Not all spools are created equal. It sounds like you've begun to discover this. I like the Halcyon cold water spool when using gloves. Most delrin spools work fine. You get used to doing things with gloves on. Some gloves have better tactile sensation than others, this also can affect ease of spool use. It gets better with time.

I use dive rite cold water spools with wet and drysuit without problem. They are 38meter long. When you get them you have to sandpaper the plastic ringedges (they are to sharp and have cut me). Easy to shoot smbs with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom