Referral student issued Cert card by diff agency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stevead:
I strongly disagree with this thought. I have seen many students who had no problems in the pool, yet turned into complete basket cases upon hitting the ocean.

You honestly believe that an instructor who makes dive #4 and only dive #4 with a student will have a better idea of that student's abilities than one who had them in the classroom for the entire class, had them in the pool for all pool work and took them on all their check out dives? Why?

You honestly believe that an instructor who makes dive #4 and only dive #4 with a student will have a better idea of that student's abilities than one who had them in the classroom for the entire class, had them in the pool for all pool work and took them on all their check out dives? Why?

Not really saying that this is right or wrong, but this is exactly what any normal "auditing" arrangement does. When the Auditors come in twice a year to see if we're meeting the requirements for whatever standard we're expected to meet, they're basically looking at whatever evidence exists at that moment to prove that we're doing what's supposed to be done. Some audits are point in time -- are we performing up to standard at this moment. Some are looking at evidence of performance over time.

I can see it both ways -- an evaluator who has been with the student over time will now what the weakpoints are to look for, but also may be too close to the problem to see what's really happening, or likely to give them a pass based on potential, not performance.

On the other hand, an independent evaluator comes in looking at the situation with a fresh perspective, but may pass (or fail) someone based on a one-day performance that is not indicative of their normal behavior.

Thinking about it longer, I actually sort of think that requiring sign-off by another instructor/evaluator would be a GOOD thing for the industry, since it might promote some actual consistency in the standards and keep the instructors honest.

I would say the safe thing is that it should require both instructors to agree to issue a C-Card, while it should only take one of the two instructors to fail them.

If a student fails the OW section, they shouldn't get a C-card. If a student has not passed the rest, they shouldn't get the OW referral.

Why don't the original instructor file for the card when the student finishes there pool? then they can give it to them when they get back from where ever they do there check out dives. If they don't pass don't give it to them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom