Refractive Lens Exchange or LASIK vision correction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lindenbruce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

Well, I am 46 in good health nearsighted but have been wearing Ortho-K contact lens' for 20 years. I want to ditch the contacts because they are just a pain in the rear. But I don't want to wear glasses either for distance. I have been to two different doctors in as may days talking to them about LASIK. One doctor uses an all laser (Intralase) correction system and the other one uses the traditional blade and laser approach. I know quite a few guys/gals have had it done with great success. However, the doctor today suggested I consider Refractive Lens Exchange as well. I said what is that? As it was explained to me it is basically a preemptive strike on cataracts AND vision correction. Basically the lens inside of the eye that causes cataracts as we age is replaced with a multifunction lens that gives vision correction and eliminates the worry about getting cataracts later in life.

So, I am curious if anyone can comment on RLE over LASIK. I am intrigued about this procedure but have never heard of it before. So I am seeking input if anyone has any.

I know my out time after LASIK is two weeks. But what would be my out time for RLE? The advisor I was talking to today was not able to tell me as she had never been asked that before, and the doctor doing the procedure was in surgery. Any other thoughts? Thanks, Bruce

Well, I am 46 in good health nearsighted but have been wearing Ortho-K contact lens' for 20 years. I want to ditch the contacts because they are just a pain in the rear.

Contacts have become a lot more comfortable and a lot better over the last 20 years. I wear mine for diving.

Nobody is taking a knife or a laser to my eyes as long as I can correct my vision with contacts. I only have two eyes and since the success rate for any sort of surgery isn't 100%, I don't see how it's worth the risk.

flots.

Yeah, that is in the back of my mind as well. You are able to wear your contacts when diving? Are they soft lens? because my current lens' are rigid gas permeables and diving in them is out of the question. I tried it once, and one of my eyes clouded over after returning to the surface and it took hours for it to clear up. B

I did LASIK way back. I did it so that I could go into the water again and not be blind. I don't regret it for a second. Incredibly positive and life-changing.

Yeah, that is in the back of my mind as well. You are able to wear your contacts when diving? Are they soft lens? because my current lens' are rigid gas permeables and diving in them is out of the question. I tried it once, and one of my eyes clouded over after returning to the surface and it took hours for it to clear up. B

They're soft, one-day disposables.

I pop them in before the dive, and take them out later. You want one-day disposables because the lens cleaning solution isn't actually designed to kill or remove the stuff in seawater. They're always clean and sterile when you insert them, so there's no chance of an infection or irritation from a contaminated or damaged lens.

There's really nothing to it.

flots.

I did LASIK way back. I did it so that I could go into the water again and not be blind. I don't regret it for a second. Incredibly positive and life-changing.

How long ago was that? And are you now having to use glasses for any type of correction? Thanks, B

---------- Post added March 2nd, 2013 at 11:27 AM ----------

They're soft, one-day disposables.

I pop them in before the dive, and take them out later. You want one-day disposables because the lens cleaning solution isn't actually designed to kill or remove the stuff in seawater. They're always clean and sterile when you insert them, so there's no chance of an infection or irritation from a contaminated or damaged lens.

There's really nothing to it.

flots.

That's good to know, thank you sir. It gives me more options. B

I had lasik done when I was about your age but I was also somewhat presbyopic and wore progressive lenses. Before the surgery I could still take the glasses off to do fine up-close work that the progressive lenses did not compensate for. After the surgery I could not do the up-close work anymore since my eyes were now permanently corrected for distance and I had to wear glasses in order to see middle distance and for reading. I have to use a magnifying glass for the really fine stuff. BTW the correction that was made by the surgery was spot on and I had tack sharp vision for far distance....great for outdoor sports like skiing etc. My vision has changed in the last few years and I have lost some of that distant sharpness. So, if you are starting to notice that your "arms are getting too short" lasik may not be perfect.

After experimenting with many combinations of contact lenses, correcting masks including hyrdo-optix with contacts, reader masks etc. I have now settled on a progressive lens in my least dominant eye to deal with middle distance and close up reading (camera and gauges) and nothing in the other for distance. This mono-vision works like a charm and only takes a few minutes to get used to. So if you are going to contemplate lasik make sure you ask about what kind of mono-vision options are available especially if you think presbyopia is in your future.

I had lasik a number of years ago. Still don't regret it, though I grieve for my short vision. You will be immediately sacrificing your near vision for the distance. If they are offering lasik and lens replacement . . . And you aren't afraid, then I say go for it. Have to tell you two things, when I was in the chair and the lasik begun, there was very loud screaming in my head. "I CHANGED MY MIND, I CHANGED MY MIND!" but of course at that point it was too late and I had to remain completely still and let the doctor finish. The second thing is that in my case, while the doc fixed the astigmatism in one eye, he gave me another in the opposite eye. Nothing I needed correction for but it is annoying.

My boyfriend who is a Scuba Instructor had Lasik done in 2003 and had his eyes corrected mono-vision and he dives a lot. He is always talking about how life changing it was to do the surgery and that it's the best thing he ever did. When it was getting to the point I was having problems reading my dive gauges (I didn't wear any prescription glasses) and using readers to read small stuff, restaurant menus and text messages I decided to investigate it. I wasn't a candidate for Lasik as my lens was too thin to cut and flap but instead did PRK where they reshape it. One of my eyes had excellent vision distance so they only did the other one for up close. It's been two years and I couldn't be happier with the results. It also helped me make my decision that my doctor, besides being one of the top rated in the U.S. is also a scuba diver so he could understand my concerns and questions and advise me accordingly.

How long ago was that? And are you now having to use glasses for any type of correction? Thanks, BB

It's been about 13 years or so I think.

I had nearly 5 diopters in my scrip and and some astigmatism, so I was basically worthless without glasses or contacts. I didn't get the latter corrected because back then they didn't do shaping, so they got me to about 20|25 and 20|30.

I was just tested a year ago and my sight has improved, it's slightly better than 20|20, although my eyes get tired more easily now. I should be wearing reading glasses, but I don't.

Back
Top Bottom