refurbished computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chimong

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everyone new diver here. I'm looking for an entry-level dive computer and I came upon this deal online. (picture attached)

I'm mostly curiously about what "refurbished" means here. I know there are all kinds of other refurbished electronics for sale on the internet, but I've never purchased one before, so I'm clueless here.

Wikipedia says "refurbished products have been tested and verified to function properly, and are thus free of defects", and "refurbished products may be unused customer returns that are essentially 'new' items, or they may be defective products that were returned under warranty, and resold by the manufacturer after repairing the defects and ensuring proper function." Sounds not so bad, but how truthfully does it describe the reality?

Because it is my understanding that dive computer is a delicate device and needs to be well maintained, I wonder if it is wise to buy such a refurbished computer at all? Will it look the same and come in the same box with all the accessories as a brand new one? Will the quality be worth the price?

Any pertinent knowledge and advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance! (And also how is Cressi Goa for an entry-level computer?)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 10.26.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 10.26.09 AM.png
    171 KB · Views: 111
Refurbished in this case, I'd guess just means they replaced the battery and any o-ring, pressure tested it, and made sure it works. As far as packaging or what comes with it, you'd really need to ask the seller.

Dive computers, like most dive gear, are not particularly delicate.

It probably means the computer probably had warranty issues and was serviced/repaired. I don't think that the discount offered here is worth the risk.

If it’s an eBay seller I would send a message to him asking him to confirm if Cressi did the refurbishing and what is the exact condition of the DC.
He

+3: It's not particularly delicate but it's pressure-proof and any kind of "refurbishing" that messes up pressure-proofing is better done by Cressi. The battery (and battery compartment o-ring) is user-replaceable, as is the wrist strap. I wouldn't call replacing those "refurbishing" but your seller might.

I.e. better ask the seller exactly what "refurbished" means.

I would want to save a bit more than 21.95% on a referb, I would take a hard look at any warranty and who exactly administers it, but you’ll probably be okay. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances!

Thanks for all your replies. Basically every agrees that it's not worth the risk unless the seller gives information on how exactly it is refurbished. This is not on ebay but on a online shop, and I haven't got a reply after I emailed them about this item. So I will stay away from it for now.

$75 off wouldn't be enough to get me to buy something from ebay. That site is notorious for scams.

Generally when buying used/refurbished/not new, I expect a 50% or greater discount vs new price ($225 for cressi goa). Unless it's something rare. It's pretty common to get those prices on used gear, too.

re: used vs refurbished. Everything I've ever bought refurbished has been new in appearance, completely unblemished and scratch free. If the watch face had a scratch, cressi would have replaced the face during refurbishing. Otherwise it's "used." That's generally what refurbished means, although there's always some scammer out there trying to stretch the meaning of refurbished.

Also, refurbished usually comes with a manufacturers warranty. Often the same as if it were new (but not always). Used generally has no warranty or whatever is left from when it was sold as new (if the warranty was transferable).

Also, refurbished usually comes with a manufacturers warranty. Often the same as if it were new (but not always).

IME it's 30 to 90 days vs. 1 to 3 years for the new item; I've never seen full warranty on a refurb nor on anything warranty-replaced even when the replacement item was in fact brand new in factory sealed packaging.

Back
Top Bottom