refusing an instabuddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Filled in my own answers
I have to take exception with the comment on the tip. Your crew works hard to make sure that your diving experience is a good one, and they rely on the tips from the divers on board as their only real source of income for the service that has been provided to you. I'm pretty certain that those on this board that crew dive charters are giving you the rolly-eye on that comment.

I have to take exception with the comment on the tip. Your crew works hard to make sure that your diving experience is a good one, and they rely on the tips from the divers on board as their only real source of income for the service that has been provided to you. I'm pretty certain that those on this board that crew dive charters are giving you the rolly-eye on that comment.

It's ok. If enough of them feel this way, boat crew are smart enough to calibrate service levels when they recognize someone from a stereotype unlikely to tip :)

Probably better left for another thread, but I like to tip when I board a boat rather than at the end. You do get better service than those who don't or those who leave it to the crew to question whether they will get a decent tip.

Whatever your personal feelings on tipping - the people who work boats work for tips and the bigger the tip you give and the more up front you are about it, the more fun you'll have. (I occasionally guide for a local op, had a guy hire me out as a guide who told me there was $100 in it for me if I found a specific thing for him - don't you think I looked extra hard for that critter?) Unless your idea of fun is not tipping, in which case you should probably just stay home.

The US tipping culture is outrageous. You don't tip on a dive boat in the UK. It's a completely different culture out here.
I have friends who crew on occasion on boats out here. They get paid an actual wage. that's a crazy notion!

Again, don't take me to seriously. Mostly trying to be funny. Of course I treat my insta-buddies well. I do silent checks on my new buddies kit. Check in on occasion during the dive. Love to hang out with new divers.

My most important point. Rarely have I had a bad experience and I have done the bulk of my dives with strangers. Great people almost always.

My concern was over the attitude, not the fact that the OP is a new diver.
attitude?

But in all seriousness, my best advice to you at this point, is to shut-up on the boat and consider yourself lucky if someone agrees to dive with you. Most of us old farts love mentoring new divers, but nothing will rub a boatload of experienced divers the wrong way faster than a guy with a brand new c-card who's a know-it-all. That new card of yours (and I hate to put it so bluntly) doesn't mean sh!t, other than it's a permit to learn from others.

I went back and re read what i wrote, & the posting guidelines for 'Basic Scuba Discussions' to see if i was inappropriate,

no where did i mention novice instabuddies (indeed i myself would fall into that category), i wrote about "reckless/clueless instabuddies". and where in my postings have i given the impression that i am a know-it-all? my 60+ posts have all been genuine questions. i dont think i have ever offered advice yet.

i have an idea so you will be able to recognize me on the boat, i will scribble B.W.A.R.F. & S.A.F.E. on my left and right fins with a sharpie, that way we wont end up by mistake with each other.

Last edited:
attitude?

I went back and re read what i wrote, & the posting guidelines for 'Basic Scuba Discussions' to see if i was inappropriate,

no where did i mention novice instabuddies (indeed i myself would fall into that category), i wrote about "reckless/clueless instabuddies". and where in my postings have i given the impression that i am a know-it-all? my 60+ posts have all been genuine questions. i dont think i have ever offered advice yet.

i have an idea so you will be able to recognize me on the boat, i will scribble B.W.A.R.F. & S.A.F.E. on my left and right fins with a sharpie, that way we wont end up by mistake with each other.

Ya know it's funny/ When I originally read your post, I thought to myself "who does this guy think he is?" and that you had no place to talk. But after going back and re-reading your first post, I don't take it that way at all.

Bottom line is, it's your comfort that matters. Talk to your insta-buddy and tell them what your thoughts for the dive are. If you still don't feel comfortable, find another buddy or thumb the dive.

attitude?

It's great that you have had 60+ questions to ask here as you complete your OW course, but I think that after you spend some time actually diving you will answer many of your own questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom