Reg for a newbie: Aqua Lung Mikron, Scubapro MK21, Atomic Aquatics B2, Apeks Flight or smth else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krist3l

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dear scuba friends,

I'm looking for a lightweight (travel-friendly) regulator that would accommodate a Suunto transmitter. I'd like to have the option of having a backup pressure gauge if need be.

With the Mikron, I'm worried about the transmitter getting knocked around as it sticks straight out from the tank/first stage -- anybody encountered that issue?

Would you pair up the Scubapro MK21 with the G260V? Any alternatives?

Are there any other models that I should be looking at? There's so much out there!

Please note that I'm only diving a few times a year so I don’t need the most top of the line rig.

you can get a short hp hose extension for the transmitter if you are worried about it being used as a handle on the reg.

the g260 is a great 2nd stage but not as compact for travel. the s600 is a closer in size to the mikron. mikron should be a bit cheaper than the mk21/s600 though.

We bought our first regs this year. My wife has an Atomic Aquatics B2 primary and octo. Mine are M1s. We love them.

you can get a short hp hose extension for the transmitter if you are worried about it being used as a handle on the reg.

the g260 is a great 2nd stage but not as compact for travel. the s600 is a closer in size to the mikron. mikron should be a bit cheaper than the mk21/s600 though.

That's a good idea regarding the extension. I guess with the Mikron I would just go with the Mikron octopus?

We bought our first regs this year. My wife has an Atomic Aquatics B2 primary and octo. Mine are M1s. We love them.

Nice one! Looks like the B2 known as a very comfortable second stage.

All three are nice regs.

The S600 is a very nice fit with the Mk21 and an R190 for the alternate second stage. I like the G260 or even the G250V, but they are not as compact as the S600. The Mk21/S600 is a really nice set up.

For the Mikron, go with the Mikron octo. Keeps it consistent. You can go with the ABS for an alternate. It isn't as nice as the Mikron octo. The ABS is a cheap alternate second stage which is a major reason people buy it. The Mikron is a tad bit smaller than the other two regs.

Atomic makes nice regs, although I haven't dived or worked on the B2.

A transmitter, without an HP hose, will fit fine on the Mk21 or B2. It will be a tight fit on the Mikron without the HP hose. .

That's a good idea regarding the extension. I guess with the Mikron I would just go with the Mikron octopus?

Nice one! Looks like the B2 known as a very comfortable second stage.

Yes the B2 is very light and the swivel helps as well

Suunto transmitter fits great on my atomic Z2. I couldn't justify the extra expense over the Z2 for the B2. I added my own swivel.

If you go with Mikron consider the older “discontinued” model. Great price and only difference is that it does not have the ACD feature and some divers consider that a bonus (not to have).

Aqualung Mikron

Then buy the octo separately. You can sometimes find good deals on this as well.

I don't know about the others, but my wife really likes her pink Mikron. The small size, small "comfo-bite" mouthpiece, and braided hose make it very easy on her mouth. Apparently the blue Mikron has a larger mouthpiece than the pink. (The pink version is not obtrusively pink—just a bit of trim.)

Back
Top Bottom