Reg for a newbie: Aqua Lung Mikron, Scubapro MK21, Atomic Aquatics B2, Apeks Flight or smth else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whatever's cheapest, then spend the difference on an extra dive trip.

Firstly, stay away from the flight, you will be hated by the LDS technician. Further it’s a warm water reg only.

I have many Mikrons, fantastic regs, light, compact, breath great and serviced anywhere. My go to travel reg. I strongly suggest a Short HP hose (6”) if you are using a transmitter with any first stage. Reduces the risk of catastrophic gas failure.

I am familiar with the Mikron and the Apeks, but not the others. Yes, first question is does it need to be cold water rated? (< 50°) If so, neither of those are.
I have a Flight and I do really like it, but if you are a newbie you need to decide your spending priorities yourself. Lightweight regs are not THAT much lighter than some other models that are not marketed as "light weight travel", such as the Aqualung Core. Biggest advantage is the flexible braided hose and the lighter second stage, which helps reduce jaw fatigue and add comfort.
If you want cold water, consider the Apeks XL4. It is coldwater, and the 2nd stage is based on the Flight second stage. A nice compromise choice. But, no ACD and only one HP port.
And by the way, the pink womens Mikron is only the older discontinued model. The new Mikron only comes in choice of Yoke or DIN, but does include both size mouthpieces in the box.

Instead of the Atomic B2 I would get the Z2. Breathes the same as the B2 but saves you some money. The swivel on the B2 is nice but really not needed.

Firstly, stay away from the flight, you will be hated by the LDS technician. Further it’s a warm water reg only.

I second that recommendation on the Flight. That is one of those regulators where you have to ask "What was Apeks thinking?" It requires special tools for servicing. I have heard that the XL4 is the essentially the Flight for cold water. I believe it does require the same special tools as the Flight.

The Mikron is a solid light weight travel regulator. My LDS used it in training/rental for a number of years. I don't think you can go wrong with that choice. If you can find an older model without the ACD, you may save some money.

The Scubapro MK21/G260V is also an excellent combination, but it will not be as lightweight or as small as the Mikron. You may want to look at the Scubapro MK11/S560 or MK11/C370. These have a first stage similar in size to the Mikron and a light weight second stages...the C370 being smaller in size than the S560.

It's easy to add your own to the z2.

It is easy, just screws on in place of the bottom end with the LP ports but you have to source the parts first or have an Atomic dealer do it.

It is easy, just screws on in place of the bottom end with the LP ports but you have to source the parts first or have an Atomic dealer do it.
Ah, yes, the 1st stage swivel. I was thinking the 2nd stage swivel as being really easy.

Back
Top Bottom