Reg: MK 25 EVO vs Atomic Aquatics B2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

napDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I currently have a MK 25 EVO with a S600. I'm looking to get a second regulator set to use either as a pony or if I do double tanks.

My two options, because I can get them at a stellar price, are MK 25 EVO w/ S600 or an Atomic Aquatics B2.
I don't know enough, but I'd think I should consider the following things
1) Price Difference - Assume the aquatics is only $20 bucks more
2) Robustness - I don't know which one is less prone to failure
3) Randomness - I assume if I have two differently designed and maintained regulators, at least one of them would not have the issues as the other during an incident. Such as free flow from cold water.
4) Cold Water? Typically dive Southern California and tropical water
5) Maintenance Cycle & Cost

What would you guys suggest? Or are their other things I should consider?

get another matching mk25/s600

both are very similar designs and can trace their lineage to the mk5/mk10/mk15/mk20 progression of scubapro regulators. having a matched set makes it easier since you don't need to find a shop that will service both atomic and scubapro.

Both are fine but I would stick with a matching second set. You’re not giving anything up by not choosing atomic.

You don't want a B2 (or any Atomic) for a Pony. Their Seat Saver orifice will allow water to travel back up the hose into the 1st stage when it's not pressurized.

You don't want a B2 (or any Atomic) for a Pony. Their Seat Saver orifice will allow water to travel back up the hose into the 1st stage when it's not pressurized.
To clarify, the 2nd stage is where the seat saver is. So if not using an atomic 2nd stage, it won’t be an issue even if using an atomic 1st.

When he posted new B2, it's assumed both are Atomic.

I would go sealed B2, but that’s just me, Mk25 is a really good regulator, S600 a great second. The Atomic seat saver is a nice addition and it does extend service intervals but if you were going to use it on a pony you would want to keep it pressurized while diving, I use a Z2 first with a G250 for my pony.

Thanks I didn't realize the seat saver on the B2. You are correct @diversteve, the atomic 1st and 2nd would be purchased as a set.

I'm going with another MK EVO 25 / S600. Thanks all!

MK EVO 25 / S600 is a great choice, mate! Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom