Reg service shop recommendations needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BillAllbritten

Contributor
Reaction score
I would appreciate your recommendation for a shop to do our annual reg
maintenance. Here's our situation.

Our regs are coming up for their first annual maintenance. One is a US
Divers along with a Seaquest Air2, the other, a Mares. Both were bought
from retail shops and carry the factory warranties. We are in a rural area
and will probably ship the gear, either to the shops from which we purchased
the gear or to another. We live in far western Kentucky but given my work schedule, will probably ship wherever we have the gear serviced.

Whether the specific warranty for a parts kit is honored isn't an issue, we
want the best possible work to insure a safe reg is returned - I've got more
than a few concerns about "fixing something that isn't broke" but do
understand the need for a checkout and preventive maintenance to maintain
factory specs, but, noting our location some 2-4 hours drive from the
nearest service facilities, want it done right the first time and shipping
is about as easy and perhaps faster as finding a day to drive to the area
shops for drop off and finding another to pick the gear up.

If you wish to reply by direct email, that's fine, possibly preferable,
given the subject.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bill

bill.allbritten@murraystate.edu

Hi Bill,

If you are going to be sending your equipment out to be serviced, you might try one of the US base "repair only" facilities like Dive Tech West. That's what they specialize in. They don't sell anything or promote anything, they just do repairs (including authorized warranty work) on all kinds of equipment from most of the major manufacturers from shops all over the place. I have heard from many people that DTW is the best place to send equipment to be repaired. Nothing but glowing praise for them. And they get your gear back to
you in a reasonable time frame.

You would still have to think about the shipping, but at least it would be domestic and not international, which would still be cheaper. DTW give information about their shipping and warranty work policies here.

Cheers,

Many thanks, this is a bit scary for us, we've heard the stories of maintenance done poorly causing serious failures. Thanks again, Bill and Elizabeth

I don't know where in west KY you are but you might want to contact Mermet Springs and find out if they service equipment or who they recommend in the area.

There is a shop in Owensboro I have heard, but I haven't been in it so I don't know what they service.

Chad

If you want to ship it all the way to Guam, I can watch over my boyfriend's shoulder while he does the overhaul for you! :)

Seriously, where ever you send it, try to get an email address so you can be kept updated on what they are doing. That will give you some peace of mind at least. Do you trust the shop you bought the gear from? If so, just send it there.

Thanks for recommendation, I called DTW and really liked what I heard. We'll have enough warm weather here to take a test dive or two in the quarry or pool when the gear comes back. Thanks again, Bill and Elizabeth

Back
Top Bottom