Reg storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ferris213

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a set of regs that aren't going to be used for at least two years. They're due for a service now and I was wondering if there is anything that can be done to help with the storage.

I'm thinking of springs being left under tension or seals getting brittle through lack of use.

Best to have them serviced and stored fully assembled? Or just get them stripped and cleaned and store them disassembled, then have them reassembled with a new kit once we're ready to start diving them again?

Thanks

Make sure they are thoroughly soaked and dry before storing.
You could go through the effort of pulling the 2nd stages and backing off the orifice...... but plenty of regs have been stored for much longer (decades) without this with zero problem.
If your 2nd stages have an adjustment knob back it out all the way.
If you are confident your regs are clean and saltless I wouldn't service before storing.

Wash (remove al hose protectors) and let them dry well. Ones they dried out, spray and work out al joints, plastics and hoses with food grade silicone. Let them dry again (never at sun) and store them on a large Zip Bag (keep hose protectors off). When you become ready to dive again, get them service an enjoy God's creation again.

Bless.

Sell them now and buy them back in 2 years (or other used regs). You might save enough on the difference to pay for the service they will need, and someone else gets to enjoy using your regs.

Make sure they are thoroughly soaked and dry before storing.
You could go through the effort of pulling the 2nd stages and backing off the orifice...... but plenty of regs have been stored for much longer (decades) without this with zero problem.
If your 2nd stages have an adjustment knob back it out all the way.
If you are confident your regs are clean and saltless I wouldn't service before storing.

1+.

The chances are quite good that if you store your regs as described by Fishpie, they might just need a slight tune-up and be ready to dive; or at worst need an "annual" service.

Properly stored, your regs will "keep" for years.

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom