Reg thats easy for parts and self repair yet good performer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

84CJ7

Contributor
Reaction score
For reasons even I don't fully understand I got into Mares regs and have several mr22/abyss's and an MR12/proton pony reg that I converted to DIN (more compact) when I rebuilt it all of which I work on myself.
Now I am finding that basic parts that were once easy to locate from various websites (like the new version tri material seat) are no longer available.
So unless that changes I am considering a gear shift to something else.

I actually really like working on this stuff and the older stuff fascinated me but I don't want to get stuck with something that's performance limited by today's standards or anything where I will have to do this all over again when parts dry up.

Looking at that double hose site (for single hose parts) it looks like the conshelf series is a fairly decent looking choice. Unless directed otherwise I was thinking the 14? Which models have the supreme cold water kit?
Would this be a major noticeable downgrade from what I have now?
I would also prefer that it all have DIN conversions available if necessary.

I looked at the few scubapro items they had on there too, but it was limited enough to steer me away from them as a choice.

Maybe other suggestions or any conshelfs to avoid?

Last edited:
I'd unabashedly recommend the conshelf for an enduring design for easy of maintenance (infrequent, uncomplicated and with good availability). Performance, hard to say.... if you're in recommended gas densities they breathe great and many enjoy them much deeper. But I think most agree not as high performance as an abyss?

DIN available but somewhat rare to find inexpensively. (I'd buy another pair next deal I come across)

My limited perspective is I borrowed an abyss to use on a pony and it didn't feel like a major upgrade when I switched off my conshelf. I thought I could pull more air out of it easier though.

Interesting question. I'm looking forward to the quality replies that will follow. Love hearing about gear from the experienced.

Regards,
Cameron

I'm assuming you're talking about Vintage Double Hose? They are an awesome rescource for the DIY folks. Bryan (@OWIC647) also has a sub forum over here.

You can't really go wrong with a conshelf, however it's hard to find one with the supreme kit or in DIN on the used market these days. The last time I was on the site, he had a few conshelfs for sale but they are also really common on ebay.

Or you could just give in and get a Kraken.... just sayin' :wink:

Looking at that double hose site (for single hose parts) it looks like the conshelf series is a fairly decent looking choice. Unless directed otherwise I was thinking the 14?

Most of my 1st stages are Conshelfs. The 14 is fine if you can live with 4 ports including a 3/8" HP port. I've come to like the hose routing better on these than on the later ones. If you need a port for a drysuit you may be better off with some of the later models that have a 5th port.

Which models have the supreme cold water kit?

The "Conshelf Supreme" was sold in all the various configurations. The difficulty is that they were largely purchased by serious divers who then dove them a great deal, and so the ones on the used market are pretty badly beat up cosmetically.

Would this be a major noticeable downgrade from what I have now?

Performance wise, you won't notice the difference.

You will have a 3/8" HP port, so you will need an adapter for your SPG, or a hose than has a 3/8" end on it. Hose routing will be different. If you go with the supreme kit you'll be dealing with silicone fluid, which is messy.

I would also prefer that it all have DIN conversions available if necessary.

Actual Conshelf DIN kits are very hard to find.

I have been happy using Titan DIN kits on my conshelfs however it is important to remove the Titan DIN O-ring and instead use an O-ring of suitable size between the regulator nose and the DIN adapter. I find that an 015 is just right. This works for me. It is not a factory-recommended configuration. Use your judgment on whether it is suitable for you and the kind of diving you do. (Works on the XIV and later)

Maybe other suggestions or any conshelfs to avoid?

Others? Calypso IV, very inexpensive and perfectly good for most purposes, inexpensive to maintain.

I avoid the Conshelf XII and earlier first stages because they don't have enough ports, and the really early 2nd stages. I avoid the plastic 2nd stages because they aren't as cool.

For first stages, the older version AL Titan is also an excellent choice. It is basically a Conshelf in a slightly different outer skin. All the internals are exactly the same ...same service kit. And you are more likely to find one of those with the environmental seal or DIN. Be aware that most of the older Conshelfs had a silicone liquid environmental seal....real messy to service so you will want the later dry seal. The older ones can be updated with the later dry seals....I think the Titan seals will also fit them but would have to check to be sure.

There were issues with some of the plastic Conshelf second stages. They were prone to crack around the hose inlet and the venturi vane inside of them would come loose (glued in plastic). Also, the ones with the side port have an issue with the port plug cracking. This was an issue because they were no longer available but since Bryan has reproduced them in Delrin, it will not be an issue if you need to replace them.

Another popular option for second stages is the Scubapro 109 or 156. These are metal second stages, very rugged, easy to service and great performers. Parts are common with the newer SP models so parts will be available for a long time.
A Conshelf/Titan first with a SP 109/156 second stage is about as reliable and good as it gets. You can also simply use your Mares second stages if you still like them.

Last edited:
If you want parts and a modern design, then Deep 6 or Hog/Edge are the ones to go with. Easy to service and the Deep 6 regs even come with service kits. What's not to like?

Bot quite sure what an older titan looks like. Also I do like the 2nds with the side access plug since it makes setting them up so much easier. If I switch to aqualung it will be a full switch not just the first stage.

Considering the deep 6 hog/edge. I thought I had to pass a class that is taught nowhere I can actually get to before I could get parts and documents from that direction. Have to look into it again.

Mares must have really tightened up policing sale of parts since I last worked on mine. All the dealers around here (within several hours) are aqualung and/or scubapro so its not really a local favorite anyways.

I am willing to give up some performance so long as its still good enough that it wont ever limit my diving, if I gain a solid long term aftermarket parts supply in exchange.

Last edited:
@Tassi Devil Diver Apeks are not easy for parts and self repair in this country. Dealers are explicitly forbidden from selling parts kits to consumers. You can use third party kits, but nothing from Aqualung directly.

@84CJ7 which side access plug are you referencing? Inline adjusting tools cover most of the "make setup easy" function. There is enough scubapro stuff on @OWIC647 's site to rebuild most Scubapro's, especially the older ones, so I wouldn't have an issue going there. I prefer the 109/156 second stage to the Conshelf second stage, but am not a huge fan of Scubapro first stages since I don't really love pistons. Bryan is putting out videos on how to service all of these regs on his youtube channel as well as keeping a library of the manuals.

Regarding Deep6 and Edge-HOG. Edge-HOG will sell all parts and kits to you regardless of training. @cerich made sure of that when he started the company. The class is available and I believe required to get the official service manuals, though it was many years until that manual was available and those of us using the regs used the Apeks ATX50/DST manuals to rebuild them. The same with the older Dive Rite RG series regulators.

Dive Rite will sell parts for any of their regs, but they do not have a course for end users and will not give out their regulator manuals. There is nothing magical about them though and if you have a functional bit of grey matter between your ears and the Apeks DST manual, you should be able to figure it out.

Deep6 has the reg course out already with TDI. When you buy regs from them they actually come with the first set of parts kits for free and the first service is free if you want to send them back. I do not know what Chris is doing regarding the manuals, but again, if you have a functional bit of grey matter between your ears and the Apeks manual, you'll be able to service them with no problems.

Apeks manuals available at Frogkick

@Tassi Devil Diver I do not know what Chris is doing regarding the manuals, but again, if you have a functional bit of grey matter between your ears and the Apeks manual, you'll be able to service them with no problems.

I am driving the guy that is writing it nuts as I drag my butt getting him some stuff he needs for pictures. That said, right now everything sold is still under warranty..so

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom