Reg thats easy for parts and self repair yet good performer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheers, that's the one I was looking at. If it's possible next time you're out diving a photo of your reg on a tank showing hose routing would be very helpful. Thank you.
Yes, certainly. I'll post one for you shortly. Sorry I overlooked your post somehow. @buddhasummer

12:00 is DS hose (32" rubber) on Omni Swivel.
2:00 is BC LP hose (20" flex).
5:00 is HP hose (23"rubber).
7:00 is octo LP hose (38" flex) under arm.
10:00 is primary LP hose (26" flex) over shoulder.

This is a Conshelf SE2, and the hose routing is near perfect, being symmetrical, and every hose pointing towards where it should go.

A HOG D1 with 5th port is second best behind the Conshelf, but the HOG 1st stage has to be tilted at 45° on the tank to optimize the hose routing.

DSC00972.jpg
DSC00973.jpg

Last edited:
As promised, it's a 21 not my 14, the only difference in the 14 is the HP hose sits a fraction lower. Going from right hand side top is HP hose, under is BC, next is primary LP and top left is back up LP.

FWIW I use a 40" primary.

IMG_4378.JPG
IMG_4379.JPG

Last edited:
I feel the same way about the routing, it is not the best. However, my Conshelfs were setup by the dive shop for standard
open water diving. I am not sure if the routing would be better if I used proper length hoses and set it up Dive Rite style. You could also use the first stage that came with the Micra and Sea series regulators (I think it is called the Cousteau). They are pretty cheap on eBay and from what I hear are even easier to repair than a standard Conshelf first.

BTW, I have been off SB for a while. Have you guys found a source for the cheap Trident seats for the MK-5 and MK-10?

Having serviced 3 recently, SEA/Cousteau, I think they are on par in terms of simplicity in servicing as a conshelf, big plus is hp seat, balance chamber etc can be accessed by a screw driver (SEA) or hex key (Cousteau) without total disassembly.

Down side is the Cousteau kit isn't completely compatible with the SEA, the balance plug uses a different sized O ring. The official Cousteau kits which include the, also hard to find filter, are hard to get and a little spendy.

Last edited:
I don't recall ever seeing a Deep Six brand - but sounds interesting - I would question legal ramifications to the company that advertises that it can be repaired by the average diver.

It's a common theme, at least down here in cave country... HOG regs are popular for that reason. Most of these people are rebuilding their own stuff rather than sending it out to be serviced (at least among my circle of friends).

Yes, certainly. I'll post one for you shortly. Sorry I overlooked your post somehow. @buddhasummer

This is a Conshelf SE2, and the hose routing is near perfect, being symmetrical, and every hose pointing towards where it should go.

A HOG D1 with 5th port is second best behind the Conshelf, but the HOG 1st stage has to be tilted at 45° on the tank to optimize the hose routing.

View attachment 418123View attachment 418124

Thank you, using a clock as a reference was helpful. Ok, so that's pretty much where I figured the swivel would need to go. Thank you for making the effort, appreciated. What size ports are on your SE2?

What size ports are on your SE2?
This SE2 has a 1/2" LP port for the primary, with other LP's 3/8". I use a low profile Apeks adapter to reduce that one to 3/8", you can see it at the 10:00 position. I have another Conshelf that has 3x 1/2" LP ports, has never been wet, just saving it for parts. I'm disappointed that the 14 didn't follow the port pattern of the SE and has the HP port going high.

The swivel isn't really necessary, a fixed 90 would probably work once adjusted. But the Omni-Swivel is so well made that I had to have it.

I picked up this SEA4 on eBay, later model with the hex ends. Haven't dove it yet but hose routing still not as good as SE2.

DSC00975.jpg

View attachment 418123View attachment 418124

As a side note, what's your ip? The adjuster looks to be screwed in a long way.

As a side note, what's your ip? The adjuster looks to be screwed in a long way.
I did a quick ip check when I got the reg and it was 135psi. The adjustment screw is exactly even with the top of the spring retainer. What looks like a hole in the picture is the 8mm hex of the adjustment screw.

I picked up this SEA4 on eBay, later model with the hex ends. Haven't dove it yet but hose routing still not as good as SE2.

View attachment 418132
I picked up one of these in a lot a while ago, and haven't had time to research it, so thanks for your post. Any clue if it's possible to put a din on it? Also, do you know if it uses a standard service kit?

I picked up one of these in a lot a while ago, and haven't had time to research it, so thanks for your post. Any clue if it's possible to put a din on it? Also, do you know if it uses a standard service kit?
Yes and Yes. I have one that was originally DIN so I know they came that way. I doubt that a conversion kit is available anymore but you might find a DIN 1st stage on eBay. The service kit is standard: Store - Vintage Double Hose I haven't service mine yet but it looks to be even easier than a Conshelf because of the End Plug access to the internals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom