Regarding Close-up lens 125 for Dx-1G/2G

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paula Schi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone,

Maybe somebody can help me on this; I am getting weird information regarding the stacking of the 125 close-up lenses for the 1G/2G.

There is a big convention going on in Düsseldorf (Boot 2010) and sales people are telling me that you cannot stack the 125 lens on top of eachother.
They said that stacked lenses wouldn't allow the camerra to focus correctly/sharply.

I have read about people stacking a few of them on top of each other and having no problems.

Can anybody please confirm that I am right and these salespeople are wrong?

Best regards from Germany,
Paula

UWPhoto is still a very "do-it-yourself" field... sometimes I find very hard to get right info even from the dealers/manufacturers. I understand them though, they need to provide 100% accurate info for a world-wide range of users, and risk having to return the money in case of failures based on what they've said.

What I always suggest is for you to gather as much info you can with other users and do the tests yourself... that's what I do.

I don't trust salespeople and the manufacturers anymore anyway after the thing with the YS110 TTL compatibility... First they tell you one thing is excellent and then a week later it's not true.

The thing was that the salespeople are saying you shouldn't do it but then I read about people doing it and it works. That's what I don't get PLUS S&S does write that you can stack the close-up lenses to get better magnification.

My buddy is getting some dry close-up lenses which we will be testing underwater.

@Marcelo: read what you do for a living- are you with UAE? I work at Rhein Radar- maybe we have talked to eachother before :)

Maybe... :eek:)
When I go up next time will drop you a pvt msg!
You guys(gals) are very good.

HI Paula-
The information provided to us by SEA&SEA Japan states that the Close up lens 125's can be stacked. You will be doubling the 1.25x magnification. The threaded mount allows stacking and the optics are not compromised.

WOW, I didn't know that you could stack lenses. If I understand correctly, you can connect two 125's together and attach them to your DX-1G/2G. I'll have to consider that.

Regards,

Bill

Paula, just read another post and perhaps the issue with focusing is related to the fact that you are magnifying the image and therefore, the image will be much more susceptible to camera shake. I know that when you use a telephoto lens you need to use a fast shutter speed because of the shaking issue.

Regards,

Bill

I talked to the guy again at the convention and told him I don't believe what he is saying due to the fact that first of all Sea&Sea claims that stacking of lenses is possible without problems and secondly that I have seen pictures done with stacked lenses (S&S and other manufacturers) and they weren't bad qualitywise.

@Bill: thanks for the info. My buddy and I will be trying some stuff out and I will give you an update on the camera's performance regarding camera shake and stuff.

Regards,
Paula

Back
Top Bottom