regs, cold water able

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brssmnky

Contributor
Reaction score
OK, so I'm brand-spanking new to diving (1 dive since becoming OW cert) and am researching regs (1st and 2nd stages) to buy. I will eventually (1-3 years) be diving cold water, as in Ice diving, as in chainsaws and ice holes and artic areas. What I want to do is buy a 1st stage (sealed balanced diaphram preferrably) and (primary) 2nd stage that are good for cold water. So When I start Ice diving, I can keep the 1st stage, move the (primary) 2nd stage to my back-up and buy an apeks as my new primary 2nd stage.

My LDS has been really good to me so far and I have no reason to not give them my money right now. They don't sell Apeks (which is why I'm not getting it right off, but It sounds the best choice for cold water)... and I'm gonna start with something they offer... when I actually get into the ice diving, I'll get the Apeks somewhere else. My LDS is really big on Scuba Pro (and I realize that Scuba Pro is a really good company), but I hear that they're not too great in cold water. Right now I'm not sure what to get.. I hear that the SP M16 is ok in cold water (??) because it's sealed. Also, my Uncle has dove for the past twenty years (and swears by) a Sherwood Oasis, so I'm considering a Sherwood Maximus or Blizzard (the bleeding 1st stage sounds good too for ice diving). Any comments on Oceanic, too? Some of them seem decent, no? They seem to have great computers... I think I'm gonna get an Oceanic pro plus 2 (please feel free to comment on this too). Also, what is a venturi switch?

So, comments please, sherwood Maximus, Blizzard, SP M16 (with a S550 probably)... Oceanics too? Good God could we get through a series of postings without metioning how great our Apeks regs are, if I swear I'll eventually get an Apeks reg as my primary 2nd stage????? Thank you all!

The only reg I have never seen freeze is a poseidon.. I have seen multiple sherwoods, scubapros and apeks regs freeze (I had an apeks reg freeze myself (with a dst 1st stage))

Personally, I use Apeks (DS4/TX50 & ATX100) for cold water diving and limit my SP (MK20/G250) to the warmer stuff, you know, anything above 45F or so. In my experience, any regulator can freeze up, given the right combination of the wrong conditions, so maintenance and technique become critical in avoiding a cold-induced free flow. I understand your desire to develop a relationship with your LDS and think, especially for a new diver, that's an excellent idea.

The hardest of the hard-core ice divers I know - a guy who puts in a lot of time in extreme cold and who is, by nature and training, a careful and intellectually disciplined man (and an intense diver), dives Sherwood Blizzards and has for years. He's intensely loyal to the things and recommends them highly. Good enough for me.

His synopsis of the Sherwood line:
"The Brut is the cheapest one and not as good, so I wouldn't recommend it. The other end, the Maximus, is more than necessary (speaking for myself, for example, I don't need a control on the breathing pressure -- I like to get it set right and leave it alone, which can be done with all the others; also I don't like having extra, unnecessary buttons to bump and go wrong), so I don't recommend the Maximus.

In my opinion, the Blizzard can't be beat -- at any depth and for any diving conditions, from near freezing water to tropical. The Oasis is almost the same as the Blizzard and a close second choice. The Magnum is also good for routine, intermediate diving."​

I should add a couple of thoughts: (1) He lives in Fargo, where Winter is rightly a capitalized word, and; (2) deep for him is still recreational depths.

brssmnky:
<snip>

So, comments please, sherwood Maximus, Blizzard, SP M16 (with a S550 probably)... Oceanics too? Good God could we get through a series of postings without metioning how great our Apeks regs are, if I swear I'll eventually get an Apeks reg as my primary 2nd stage????? Thank you all!

One of my regs is a Sherwood Maximus. I think it breathes too wet and a little heavy by today's standards but it's probably one of the most reliable regulators you can buy for cold water. I've had it down to -2C (yes, below freezing) without problems and I've made hundreds of cold water (less than 5C) dives with it without a single problem.

I also dive with Aqualung regulators (legend LX supreme and Titan glacia) for double valves and while they're a little more prone to freezing than the Sherwood I prefer them because they're smoother and drier.

R..

I would definetely put up a fight if your LDS recommends the SP for coldwater. I dive with a guy who has the oceanic DX4/Delta3 combo and he has never had a problem with it. Env. kit, adjustable second stage. Oceanic also incorporates something that allows you to set the breathing resistance before the dive and never have to touch it throughout. Good regs, but I think you pay a little for the name tag.

As for your question about the venturi switch common to the maximus, delta, gamma2, etc., you can think of it as a wheather vane. If it is streamlined the wind will blow right passed it. In some regs it will actually deflect the air more directly into your mouth.
Now imagine if you turned the weather vane sideways perpendicular to the wind. It would reduced the flow right? Now that little vane inside the reg will reduce the flow of air into your mouth. Why would you want to do that. It's best use is for octos and at the surface. They eliminate that airflow that causes a freeflow when you put the reg in mouthpiece up.
Hope this helps.

I used to dive Scubapro, MK10, MK25, G250, S600...until I had freeflow problems in 40 degree water.

Thats when I switched to Poseidon and use the Scubapro only for warm water diving.

I realize that this is a subject (cold water regs) that's already been covered a lot, and I did read thread upon thread before I posted anew. Thanks for everyone's input so far. Actually my LDS has offered me a pretty good deal on a used sealed balanced diaphram 1st stage with a new Oceanic Alpha 7 and a new swivel 180 octo, but I don't think I want the Alpha 7 or the octo. It seems like something I would use for a year or two and then want to replace it with a more "quality" reg.

I'm thinking the Sherwood Blizzard is going to be my best choice (quality, price, durability), but I'm a little concerned about it not being a "performance" reg. From what I get, that means it doesn't breathe well at some deeper (I do plan on keeping it to recreational limits) depths? If it's balanced, doesn't that mean it breathes the same at all depths and tank levels?? Thanks!

brssmnky:
<snip>

I'm thinking the Sherwood Blizzard is going to be my best choice (quality, price, durability), but I'm a little concerned about it not being a "performance" reg. From what I get, that means it doesn't breathe well at some deeper (I do plan on keeping it to recreational limits) depths? If it's balanced, doesn't that mean it breathes the same at all depths and tank levels?? Thanks!

I don't know about the blizzard but I know that the Maximus breathes the same at 150ft as it does on the surface. The secret is the cracking adjuster. As you go deeper you need to open it up a bit as you go and that seems to keep it performing ok. I think without the cracking adjuster (blizzard doesn't have one) that you'd find it breathing a little stiff deeper than 100ft or so.

R..

brssmnky:
I realize that this is a subject (cold water regs) that's already been covered a lot, and I did read thread upon thread before I posted anew. Thanks for everyone's input so far. Actually my LDS has offered me a pretty good deal on a used sealed balanced diaphram 1st stage with a new Oceanic Alpha 7 and a new swivel 180 octo, but I don't think I want the Alpha 7 or the octo. It seems like something I would use for a year or two and then want to replace it with a more "quality" reg.
The swivel 180 is probably the worst alternate second stage I have ever had the priviledge to try out. Complete and total garbage. Good call there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom