Regs or BCD first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm relatively new to diving (OWD, done ~ 25 dives) and am living in Germany.
Next year, I want to go on vacation in Croatia and dive there.
I'm not sure wheter to buy a reg or BCD first, especially since I'm going to fly to Croatia by plane.

I mostly dive at home (water temperature above 12 degrees C) but am looking forward to go diving on vacation.

I already have exposure protection, some safety equipment, fins, mask and a dive computer.

During my OWD course, I had the chance to try out some wings from OMS and Mares and they suited me very well.
Additionally, I used a long-hose-setup for the regs which I also liked.

So what would you recommend to buy first, BCD or regs? And which BCD or regs would you pick?

Regs. Scubapro MK25/S600 as lightweight, bullet proof, will be as high of performance as you ever need to go, and relatively cheap. You can go with an upgrade to MK25/A700 or G250V but it does not seem necessary as you do not do much cold water. You can also go the MK17 route, but heavier.

BCD is more dependent on the style of diving...rec, tec, side, etc....regs are more flexible and you can use them for different diving.

My $0.02 anyways :)

Congrats and welcome!

I will go on the flip side and say BCD.

I've only done 15 dives total but it's always been with rental gear. Each time it was a different BCD. While they were all jacket style BCD's, they all were a little different and just felt a bit different and took a little bit to get used to. Also the weight/buoyancy can be a bit different depending which you get, although once I had my weight perfect (which was only for 2 different trips), I used the same weight both times and it was perfect.

But little things like where to tuck the octo were different. One clipped on while one just folded up into a pocket. Same with the SPG. One had weight integrated pockets, one I had to use my weight belt.

Just things like those I feel would be easier to dial in on your own BCD and easier to setup each time you go diving with one you are used to.

Regulators in the end, you will put in your mouth and breathe.

So I guess there really is no "better" one to get, it's just what you really want. I ended up buying all of my stuff close together but have yet to take it on a real dive, only into the pool. I am like you where I will pretty much only be doing vacation diving.

Both at the same time. You need both anyway.

You said you liked the wing and long-hose setup. Chances are you won't be able to rent either on vacation; most places only have jacket BCDs and short hose regs. Which would you rather do without?

Another consideration for the reg is whether you want yoke or DIN. Your local rental tanks might have DIN valves, but I'm told many tropical destinations are more likely to have tanks with yoke valves. Of course, there are adapters, but they can make your first stage stick out awkwardly. Maybe you'd have an easier time renting a reg from the same place you rent your tanks for now.

You want to have a way to attach you spare reg so easily accessible and also a way to clip your air guage etc to the BCD what ever that BCD is. Some rentals do not have them. Carrying a couple of approriate clips with you is very cheap. I carry some with me for when instabuddies find their rental gear does not have them. If somebody needs air fishing a reg out that is jammed into a pocket is sub optimal. Saw it lead to an air share with a new diver.

I will vote BCD as well. I had many poorly fitting BCs that I was renting and what was more frustrating was dealing with the weight distribution and amount which changed with each rental. As a newer diver, buoyancy and air consumption are the 2 biggest chances for improvement and therefore challenges for many people. Since you have exposure protection already, adding a consistent BC will help you dial down your weighting which will help with buoyancy and your air consumption.

Back
Top Bottom