Regs Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBFG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
ok, I have a couple of questions about regs, hose routing, etc
I'm slowly getting my SM gear together. I will be diving a mexican style SM rig with drysuit.
I currently have a HOG D2 and a HOG D1 reg. I don't plan on buying another D1 unless it's absolutely necessary. I plan to put the D1 on the right side with the long hose so that I can use the swivel on the turret for long hose deployment. the D2 will be going on my left side.

Questions:
1) 1st Stages. Does it matter if the 1st stage are not the same? will I be unbalanced?
2) Hose routing. The right post is fairly easy. on the left side D2. how would I route the LPI and the Reg hose? I have the swivel at the end of the necklace. Is there a way that I can lay next to the tank and measure the length of the reg hose? I would like to buy it before I start my training. I get that the LPI will depend on the actual rig so I won't buy that one right away.

thanx!

edit: I went and weighted both 1st Stage. the D1 is 160 grams heavier.

Last edited:
i figured tbone would have replied by now

1) not really. not enough to be noticeable.
2) reg sideways, lpi and 2nd stage opposite to the spg. either up or down is up to you. hose length will be up to your preference. you can run a shorter 26 to 30 inch hose directly around the neck, longer 36 to 42 inch hose routed down and up along the tank then back behind, or even a 2nd long hose. if you don't have a reversible 2nd stage and don't want to use a swivel or angle adapter, you will need towards the higher side of those ranges. for the lpi, 9 to 12 inches if using 5th port turret on d1. else, 14 to 18 inches on the regular ports. a lot of it will come out to personal preference.

Q2: Use a length of string to measure from under the armpit, up the shoulder, around the neck to a point 3" below your chin.

Typical short hose length is 22-26" depending in your stature.

Same for LPI. Length will be 6-9" depending on your stature. If you're barrel chested, you'd need 9". Most divers can use 6" lpi hoses.

How far under the armpit should I start? Straight inside or just at the bottom when my arm is against my body?

Awesome!
What do you mean by opposite to the spg?

with the d2 or ds4, i find it gets crowded if you stick the spg, lpi, and 2nd stage all off the same side of the reg body. for a setup without the inflator, it isn't as big an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom