Regs that you love servicing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steelwindmachine

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've been digging around to learn more about regs. I still need to buy the reg savvy books and such.

My background is in automotive repair and RC model helicopter building. I've found that designs that have less parts can be easier to work on, but might also be less robust than more heavily engineered designs.

What makes one reg easier to work on than another?

The guys at AirTech all seem to highly favor the SP MK25/S600 setup for simplicity and reliability.

One of my local shops loves the Apeks stuff, specifically the ATX40 for simplicity, quality of parts and inexpensive price.

I might like to do my own service some day, but trying to learn what reg to buy and whether or not it'll be a PITA to service is really pretty tough without being able to open them up in the store.

Scubapro parts kits will be really hard to get because they are heavily controlled and protected by the manufacturer and the LDS's.
There are some kits available for some Scubapro like MK2, MK5, MK10, 109, R190, G250, etc.
Couv and Awap here on this board know waay more about getting stuff for SP than I do, I'm a newbie at rebuilding my own stuff and obtaining parts.
Another brand that sell parts directly to the end user is Hog and I hear nothing but good stuff about them.

As far as rebuilding, I've worked on my SP MK3 and it's about the simplest 1st stage out there, 2 orings and a HP seat, takes about 2 minutes. MK2's are the same except the piston is bigger around on the wide end.

I've been digging around to learn more about regs. I still need to buy the reg savvy books and such.

My background is in automotive repair and RC model helicopter building. I've found that designs that have less parts can be easier to work on, but might also be less robust than more heavily engineered designs.

What makes one reg easier to work on than another?

The guys at AirTech all seem to highly favor the SP MK25/S600 setup for simplicity and reliability.

One of my local shops loves the Apeks stuff, specifically the ATX40 for simplicity, quality of parts and inexpensive price.

I might like to do my own service some day, but trying to learn what reg to buy and whether or not it'll be a PITA to service is really pretty tough without being able to open them up in the store.

What makes one reg easier to work on than another for me (in my limited experience), in order:

1. Ability to find parts.
2. Ability to find repair manuals or at least schematics.
3. Ablilty to perform service without needing non-standard tools, or at least be able to "fabricate" my own custom tools.

Having said the above, with a little searching and "asking around", you can find parts and manuals for most regs, even brands like Scubapro and Aqualung that do not "allow" sales of parts to the general public.

The folks who are "regulars" on this board are very willing to help if you ask.

It is probably easier with regulator brands that do not restrict part sales... Edge/HOG and Zeagle are two examples, but if you have your heart set on a Scubapro or Aqualung reg, don't let the "apparent" lack of open parts sales stop you. You'll usually be able to find parts with just a quick search.

As far as the "type" of regulator that is easiest to rebuild? Piston first stages, but that does not mean that diaphragm firsts are "hard" to service. Both require attention to detail and similar skills to take apart, inspect, clean, replace o-rings and seats if needed, and put back together and test/adjust. Neither have a "lot" of parts, compared to other mechanical devices.

Have fun with DIY... it is well worth the effort!

Best wishes.

Over the years, I've been a service tech for many brands.
Among them, Oceanic,Atomic, Mares, Cressi and poseidon to name a few.
Oceanic is what I'm still doing and just love them

I service my own Apeks regs. I purchased them with the intention of learning how to service them. Lots of people said it was really easy to do. They were right. Apeks makes one overhaul kit for its 1st stages and one overhaul kit for its 2nd stages. The kits can be sourced online. Avoid the Apeks "Status" first stages which have some electronics in them that indicates whether i.p. is in the normal range. It's much easier to use an analog i.p. gauge for that anyway.

As you acquire reg sets, you'll realize that the designs of different manufacturers can be very similar.
For instance, internally, my Aqualung Legend reg setup is very similar to my Apeks reg sets. 1st stages are balanced diaphragm designs. 2nd stages are barrel poppet designs. The tuning process is the same. From what I hear, the Zeagle and HOG D1/D2 regs are similar.

Last edited:
Sherwood, without a doubt. Why? Easy access to parts, parts are minimal, no special tools required outside of an IP gauge, and the regs are dependable.

Go on ebay and pick up a set of old Sherwood Brut regs. Complete kits can be purchased from northeastscubasupply.com. Download the service docs off http://www.frogkick.dk/manuals/. Have fun, ask questions in the DIY area. If you're ASE anything, you can do it.

That's a little funny because the MK25 and S600 are both fairly complex regs, even for scubapro. The MK25's ancestors, in particular the MK5 or MK10, would certainly be a great choice for a combination of easy-to-work-on and excellent reliability and performance. The S600 is a descendent of the balanced/adjustable 2nd stage (sort of, anyhow) which is also a stellar example of simplicity for service and great performance. A mid-way point ( I guess) would be the G250 2nd stage, which is basically a balanced/adjustable in a plastic case with a venturi assist. The G250 is probably one of the most successful and long-lived 2nd stages around, and was re-issued by SP as the G250V.

A used MK10/G250 is a great place to start for DIY reg service. The vance harlow book has excellent step-by-step instructions, and with your technical background (unless your auto repair service is at a VW dealer, but that's another story) you should have little problem getting things working well. Another excellent choice would be a MK5/109 (or balanced/adjustable). The only caveat there is that you should get a MK5 with 5 LP ports, which would insure that you got one with 7/16 HP ports and the later style heavy yoke. There is a design issue with the MK5; the turret retainer bolts on earlier models were brass and easily damaged if overtorqued. Zung (on this forum) had a machinist make a batch of those bolts in stainless steel; a few of us have several more than we will ever need, and I could certainly sell one if you needed to replace a damaged brass one.

As far as rebuild parts for those regs, SP does try to restrict sales, but kits for the MK5/10 are all over ebay, as are G250 kits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom