Regs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I need some help picking a reg. I have narrowed my decision down to the Scuba-pro Mk.20/G500 and the Abyss from Mares.Most of my diving will be done in Colorado, with a few trips to warmer water. I am a new diver and could sure use a little help.(also, I have been thinking about Apeks
T40 or T100) Thanks.

I just picked up two of the Tx-50s and I love them. Breath great, sealed for cold water. Easy to overhaul. The 50s and 100s are the almost identical except for the 100 is a little smaller and the first stage is shaped different. If you go with the Apex regs, get a few 1/2 port plugs and switch to a standard reg hose. It will be cheaper to replace a standard size hose than the 1/2 ones and if you are one a dive and a hose goes, someone would likely have a standard vs 1/2

Just my 2 cents
Eric

Hey Eric, thanks for the reply. After doing a little more reading about Apeks, it looks like I might lean towards the
Tx50 maybe the Tx40. Is the Tx50 worth the higher price than the Tx40 ? how about using the Tx50 for my primary and the Tx40 as an octo.? In the U.S. are Apeks and Zaegle the same reg.? Thanks alot for your help, I'm almost ready to take my open water check-out dives and knowing I have a good reg. set-up is going to make things way more comfortable. Thanks again.

Bottomdweller...I just bought an Apeks 3-stage set which included the TX50, TX40(octo), and the DST 1st stage. I absolutely love them. Very easy breathing, comfortable and breath dry. There exhaust port rests on your chin taking alot of the load off your jaw, which increases comfort. The differences between the TX50 and the TX40 are that the TX50 has an inhalation adjustment knob that the TX40 doesn't, giving it more adjustability. But honestly I couldn't tell any difference in breathing between them at any depth up to 100', that's as deep as I've had them so far. But another advantage to the adjustment is that you can back the adjustment all the way out during storage and prolong the life of the low pressure seat.

About the differences between the Apeks and last years Zeagles....I asked this same question here a while back and you can read the thread here. Here's what the dealer that I ended up buying the Apeks regs from had to say about the differences between them:

The differences in the OLD STYLE Zeagle regs and the NEW style Apeks regs are subtle, but substantial in my view. Changes made to the NEW Apeks regs (those sold after the start of 2000) are not available in the old style Zeagle regs (which were all supplied to Zeagle prior to october of 1999) differences include the shuttle valve spring, the shuttle valve, the counterbanance cylinder, and the high pressure spring in the first stages. In addition, the orings in the Apeks are made from a "new" material they
don't much talk about. We know they aren't butyal, silicone, or viton, but they don't talk much about what they actually are.

I never confirmed this with Apeks, but I believe the above to be the truth and I could tell the difference myself after diving both the Zeagle Tech 50D and the Apeks TX50. The first thing that I noticed was that the Apeks breathed easier IMHO. The second thing that I was relieved to discover was that the Apeks TX50 and TX40 both breathed dry, the Zeagles that I had dove did not when inverted the least little bit. Granted the Zeagle I used several times was rented and it wasn't new, far from it, and the Apeks was new, so that could have had alot to do with it.

BTW, Zeagle no longer markets the Apeks line, they are now making their own regulators. I here through the grape vine that their new regs are top contenders and will recieve the highest breathing machine scores of any reg ever tested, but that's just heresay for now, we'll see. And I for one, would be very carefull about jumping on the bandwagon of a new reg from a company that has never actually made regs until now, but that's just me. Just so you know, I'm not anti-Zeagle, I own one of and love their BCs. :)

As a proud Apeks owner I would have to say that if I was buying tham all over again I would go with

1st stage - DST - not the new one with the TX100 - the one you get with the TX50 and 40 - internally they are the same, but I prefer the swivel turret to the upswept fixed ports of the newer TX100 first stage.

2nd Stage - TX40 - I have a TX50 and 40 at the moment, and as Warhammer has observed, there is very little difference between the two. FWIW I never have to adjust the breathing resistance, and, at 40m (130 ft) even using the venturi assist isn't really necessary, - without it they breath a dream - with it they are superb though. I wouldn't bother with the extra parts, as IMHO the TX40 breathes almost as well as the 100, and equal to the 50.

AAS - Probably another TX40 - they used to make a TX20 which I have for my pony reg, but I don't think they do this one any more. It was a basic version of the TX40, but without the heat exchanger. Mine (when it was my AAS rather than on my pony) at 40m in freezing cold (about 2°C) water breathed a dream, although not quite as good as the TX40 / 50, and never gave a problem.

If you want a dedicated nitrox (shallow water, <30 odd m) reg then I would definitely recoment the TX40, although if you are going below 35-40 m then you can feel the difference between the 40, 50, and 100, When I would suggest the 50 is all you ever need. TX100 is what I would get if I was diving all the time.

Decide on your depth, and buy the second stage to suit.

.02, and definitely biased!

Jon T

Just to let you guys know, especially if you are in for buying a new reg soon. Apeks are bringing out their CTX range of regulators in the next few months - according to an e-mail i recieved from Apeks. I cant wait :)

Damn,

Why couldn't they bring them out for the london dive show!
Then I could get lots of TX bits at an even more knocked down price!

Jon T

In the US,Apex is now sold by SeaQuest and only come as yoke. You need to get a DIN kit seperatly and have the shop install it. I use the TX-50 as primary and the 40 as secondary on my doubles. First stages are the Seal Swivel (with 1/2 port plugged)

eric

The shop where I bought my TX50 had them in both DIN and in Yoke. Guess he could have converted them though.

The CTX models are suppose to be a good bit smaller, might be just what my wife needs.

And they do still make the T20 and will make a CT20 as well.

Originally posted by ericfine50
In the US,Apex is now sold by SeaQuest and only come as yoke. You need to get a DIN kit seperatly and have the shop install it. I use the TX-50 as primary and the 40 as secondary on my doubles. First stages are the Seal Swivel (with 1/2 port plugged)

eric

What is the 1/2 port?

On my two DST's there are

4 identical size ports on the swivel - medium pressure for inflators etc

2 identical size ports on the body - High pressure - guages

(High Press = cyl press.
Med Pres = ambient + 10 bar or so - often called interstage pressure)

Certainly none of the threads are anywhere near 1/2 in diametre! - they might be 5/16, and 3/8, but I'm sure they aren't 1/2

Jon T

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom