regulator and stage for good breathing control, lightweight, coldwater ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ToniDiverDive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi diving folks,
I will start in some months with my Divemaster and search for my first own equipment.
specialy i have some questions about the first and second stage. After reading in this forum and on other pages i coud find the right answer and i am nt sure which combinaton is the best.
my requires are:

-main focus an easy to breath with a low resistance, so that i can do relaxing belly breathing which i used to do in freediving.
-usable for my Divemaster
-usable later for tec diving, nitrox, trimix and so on
-it has to bee coldwater resistant because i like to dive in lakes here in germany
-as lightweight as possible because i travel a lot and woud like to carry it with me
(maybe two different regulator are the solution for that, one fancy with good breathing controll and the other witch is a good always working and simpel lightweight backup)
-easy to repair on my own

I dont have a personal problam to mix two different regulatos with a first stage.
Also if somebody coud find a list with the weights of the equipment it woud be nice, i coud find anything even on the manufacture websites.

I looking forward to the answers and i am quit curious.

Apeks :popcorn:

either 2x XTX50 or if you go fancy 2x XTX200. I would not bother getting a seperate travel regulator. Apeks are easy to service and the service kits are readily available.

Jürgen

some (many?) dive sites in Germany require divers to have 2 1st stages mounted on their tank or have 2 air sources (back mounted doubles, pony bottle, twin sidemount, etc)...which will still require 2 1st stages.

There are a lot of regulators on the market that will fit your current and future needs, but before one can really answer your question they would need to know what your budget is.

If you are really budget conscious, the Aqualung Calypso is inexpensive here in Europe and is now CE certified for cold water use. The DIN version is only good for 232 bar as it only has a 5 thread DIN fitting so it will not screw into a 300bar high pressure tank valve. This may not be an acceptable reg for when you venture into tech diving training.

Keeping with Aqualung, the Core Supreme is a decent diaphragm cold water rated 1st stage reg at an attractive price. A little more expensive is the Legend and Legend Lux....the only material differences between the diaphram type Aqualung regs are the exterior fit and finish....the critical parts inside are the same.

I would also recommend looking at Apeks, which seems to be favored by the tech divers I see here in Belgium.

From online sources I would recommend Deep6, HOG, and Dive Rite.

Mares makes good products too, even though they just killed off their work-horse 1st stage, the MR22.

Scubapro also has great products.

In my mind, the most important issue to consider when buying a regulator is will you be able to have it serviced where you live and dive. For instance, Oceanic and Sherwood make good regulators but good luck finding a shop that can/will service them in Germany or elsewhere in Europe.

If you plan to travel then well known brands such as Aqualung, Scubapro, Mares may be more practical as support/service is relatively available world wide.

Good luck on your hunt for equipment and good luck for your DM training.

-Z

thanks @Mod63 for a long time i fall in love with the Apkes MTX-R because it looks very solid and lightweight.
but the Apeks XTX200 looks good with a Apeks XT4+ as the Octopus?

can the Apeks xt200 first stage rotate? I dont see it clearly in the pics and there is nothing write about that.
I prefere first stages wich can rotate because i think its better against broken hoses.

@Zef yes you are right with the two different air system requirement in germany.

I think for now i woud start to focus for a singel system wich i can later upgrade easily.
The next dives will be in warm water not in germany.
Is it possible to mix different brands for example apeks with aqualung, I heard that there are almost the same.

Apeks :popcorn:

either 2x XTX50 or if you go fancy 2x XTX200. I would not bother getting a seperate travel regulator. Apeks are easy to service and the service kits are readily available.

Jürgen

Agreed on both points. Apeks is an excellent choice here. I travel a lot as well and honestly, I have an Aqua Lung Legend LX and the weight is not an issue. I used to carry mine but now check it regularly in favor of carrying camera gear.

thanks @Mod63 for a long time i fall in love with the Apkes MTX-R because it looks very solid and lightweight.
but the Apeks XTX200 looks good with a Apeks XT4+ as the Octopus?

can the Apeks xt200 first stage rotate? I dont see it clearly in the pics and there is nothing write about that.
I prefere first stages wich can rotate because i think its better against broken hoses.
For a rotating turret bought as a set, you need to get the XTX50 with the DST, and NOT the XTX50/DS4. Or buy that first stage and get the XTX200 2nd stage if you like - just expect a little higher cost buying individual stages instead of a set.

The MTX-R is a great regulator, but at 1.75 liters/joule it is NOT the best breathing available. This was designed with the needs/requirements/priorities of navy divers in mind, not recreational and/or tech divers. Note that it also doesn't have a Venturi switch.

is there a dive shop or operation that you know you will be working for as DM? If so many will require you to use the brands they sell or want to highlight. They may also offer you keyman pricing which is a solid discount. If you have a job lined up may be better to limit your choices to what brands they sell.

is there a dive shop or operation that you know you will be working for as DM? If so many will require you to use the brands they sell or want to highlight. They may also offer you keyman pricing which is a solid discount. If you have a job lined up may be better to limit your choices to what brands they sell.
Very good point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom