Regulator Compatability Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Resqdivemedic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been looking at getting my son a regulator for his birthday and was wondering about compatability between certain components of a regulator setup. Specifically alternate air sources. I have read about compatability issues between brands. Is this a concern and should I stick with the same brand? I found a good deal on a Aqualung Titan 1st and 2nd stage. I know he has been using a Scubapro Air 2 during his OW class he likes it. Before I take the plunge, I was wondering if I can use these together.
Thanks in advance and dive safe.

no compatibility issue.... Poseidon is the only one that has issues as the operating (IP) pressure is different that the majority of brands...

Don't worry, no problem with that combination. Go ahead.......

I think the compatibility issue you're referring to is the LP inflator hose, which at least used to be specific to different brands of octo/inflators. So if you buy the Air2, I suppose it comes with a LP inflator hose that has the fitting to fit; the aqualung version of the octo/inflator might have a different fitting. The other end of these hoses, that attaches to the 1st stage, is universal, so there's no problem using a SP octo/inflator on an aqualung 1st stage. But, I don't know that much about these fittings, with good reason IMO. They don't really do anything to make diving more pleasant or convenient, and there are some serious disadvantages to them. I would simply avoid the whole issue and get your son a normal, full size octo. Dive shops love to put students in octo/inflators because they can then sell them, and they're really expensive. Not many experienced divers would care to switch from a dedicated octo to an octo/inflator.

I apologize for turning this thread into the gazillionith "octo/inflator: friend or foe" thread. If you do a search you'll find the topic has been well argued!

creaaakkkkk The other issue with them is if you travel and have to rent a BCD if it doesn't have an Air2 or it has one with a different fitting on it you are kind of SoL bringing your own regulators. Best off to get a full regulator set and if he wants to use an Air2 as well then that is his choice, but there are better systems out there.

regarding regulator compatibility, it is really only the Poseidon Cyklon that proves problematic, the Jetstream and Xstream can be used on regulators with normal IP, they just have to be tuned for it.

.... I know he has been using a Scubapro Air 2 during his OW class he likes it....

IMHO the Air2 is not a sensible item to use in training. I would be concerned about this. The answers you have in terms of brand compatibility are correct, nearly all brands will mix for an AAS.

he got his answer, nothing more to see, lets move along folks..... :whistling:

I have been looking at getting my son a regulator for his birthday and was wondering about compatability between certain components of a regulator setup. Specifically alternate air sources. I have read about compatability issues between brands. Is this a concern and should I stick with the same brand? I found a good deal on a Aqualung Titan 1st and 2nd stage. I know he has been using a Scubapro Air 2 during his OW class he likes it. Before I take the plunge, I was wondering if I can use these together.
Thanks in advance and dive safe.

Mixing Aqualung and Scubapro will cause a matter anti-matter reaction and cause the universe to collapse.

Being serious, a modern regulator is 2 stage. The first stage (the part on the tank) reduces the tank pressure from 500 - 3000 PSI to an intermediate pressure (IP) of 135 +/- 10 PSI. The second stage (the part in the mouth) reduces the IP pressure so it is comfortable to breath. When you mix different first and second stages, the second stage may be set up for one IP say 125 PSI while the first stage puts out 145 PSI which causes the second stage to free-flow (hiss). This is not a big problem and a simple adjustment is all that is required. So my recommendation is to have the setup tested and adjusted after assembly. I left some stuff out about ambient pressure but it is not relevant to the discussion.

---------- Post added March 16th, 2015 at 08:27 AM ----------

I apologize for turning this thread into the gazillionith "octo/inflator: friend or foe" thread. If you do a search you'll find the topic has been well argued!

One other thing to mention about an AIR 2 or octo/inflator, is that the proper procedure in an out of air emergency is for the diver to donate the regulator in his mouth to the out of air diver and use the AIR 2 himself. Consequently, the primary (AL Titan) should have a longer octo length hose.

regarding regulator compatibility, it is really only the Poseidon Cyklon that proves problematic, the Jetstream and Xstream can be used on regulators with normal IP, they just have to be tuned for it.

The Jetstream and Xstream are UPSTREAM regulators whereas most others are downstream, so be sure to have a pressure relief valve either in the regulator hose or a IP port of the the first stage.

Back
Top Bottom