Regulator configuration question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reelman1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello, everyone;
I dive open water, and I'm interested in the "DIR" regulator configuration, with the octo on a necklace. My regulator is an Aqualung Titan LX, with the LX octopus, the point being that my 2nd stages are identical except for color. My question is this: if an out of air diver comes to me for air, he's going to either just go for my primary, or look for the yellow one...so...should I set up with the yellow 2nd as my primary and the black around my neck? My reasoning is that I don't want a panicked diver going for the yellow 2nd hanging around my neck ( it's on a yellow hose as well)... I hope this makes sense... thanks for your input, and safe diving!!

It also doesn't matter how you set up your gear, and out of air panicked diver is going to go for the regulator in your mouth.

I made that configuration switch fairly recently. Neither of mine are yellow. Also, be prepared to explain your configuration to new buddies every time you dive. At almost 55 dives, I've not yet dove with anyone else who uses this configuration.

I guess I should really rethink the only yellow reg on my body being attached to my O2/80% tank.

Seriously though, if you insist on keeping the color kit on the octo, why not swap hoses and put the octo on the long hose? 99.99% of the time, I imagine a panicked diver will go for what's in your face blowing bubbles...but you never know if you'll get that one person whose mind seized up on the whole 'go to the yellow octo' piece of their training.

Also consider spending the small amount of money required to get a black 22"-24" necklaced LP hose. It'll fit better and you can stop thinking about whether someone might somehow possibly be slightly confused by the hose color, maybe.

Interesting question!

I also have identical second stages on one of my setups. I hang the yellow-faced one on the necklace. The hoses are all black.

In hundreds of dives with that rig I've only ever had one comment on it, from a diver gearing up on the same boat.
After seeing me put the necklace on, he said "Boy, nobody's getting that octo from you, are they!"

So pre-dive gear review is a really good idea if you're diving with a buddy.

-Bryan

I find myself in strange territory agreeing with Dr. Lecter :)

shouldn't matter where the yellow regulator is, but assuming that the yellow regulator is more visible than the black regulator, it makes sense to have the more visible one be the one the OOA diver will get.

I myself don't have anything color coded (my long hose is actually blue). However I do tell whoever I'm diving with that i'm donating my primary, additionally because of my horizontal orientation and my necklace not hanging much, the first reg the OOA diver is going to see anyways is the one in my mouth so i dont worry about it to much

I went yellow for long hose (seconds are identical) on one rig. Always discuss that the one in my mouth is the one you get (or the one on the pony.....)

Yellow is the default to spot it easier, but frankly of your config differs just let your boat know, your kit your choice

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom