Regulator configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I mentioned the different agencies above because BSAC tends to teach differently...they do not hand-off the octo to the OOA diver, instead, upon seeing the OOA signal they teach to splay out to "present" the octo for the OOA diver to take on their own, at least that is how the local BSAC instructor I know teaches....I like this, but it still requires the diver to recognize and process the OOA signal.

He isn’t teaching a donor to do anything. He is teaching the OOG to TAKE the regulator. The realistic scenario is that the donor has his or her head in a hole grabbing a lobster or is taking a picture and is completely uninvolved with handing off a regulator.

This is often lampooned as ‘going starfish’ since for the purposes of the lesson the ‘donating’ diver is to do nothing, the OOG is being taught not the donor.

We explain that it is perfectly ok to hand over a regulator if you notice the need.

In my opinion it is better to train for the worst case scenario of a diver ripping the reg out of my mouth in an urgent situation

How do you train for this? Do you tell your buddy to steal your regulator randomly on dives? Does your buddy occasionally do this spontaneously?

He isn’t teaching a donor to do anything. He is teaching the OOG to TAKE the regulator. The realistic scenario is that the donor has his or her head in a hole grabbing a lobster or is taking a picture and is completely uninvolved with handing off a regulator.

This is often lampooned as ‘going starfish’ since for the purposes of the lesson the ‘donating’ diver is to do nothing, the OOG is being taught not the donor.

We explain that it is perfectly ok to hand over a regulator if you notice the need.

I agree, I think you just stated similar sentiment more succinctly. Cheers. When I brief a dive, particularly with new/inexperienced divers, that in an OOA situation they should not wait to be handed a regulator that they should just find one and use it. The issue can be communicated and sorted out after.

-Z

i use a longer than average hose fro my primary 120cm (im a metric user) or so and a standard 100" yellow for my Octy I also rout primary under arm instead of over the shoulder and in out of air situation s im OK with the OOA diver using either my Primary or secondary

in my opinion there are several reasons for doing it either way but I'm not the one that will be making that decision so i have set myself up so either works.

about the only thing I will add to this is that if you are planning to use a AI comp i think you want to put your transmitter on a 6" hp hose, this is done to give some flexibility to the transmitter too often i have seen people grab a rig by the 1st stage and when you look at the setupo they are effectively using the transmitter as a handle and i have seen transmitters break.

======================================================
soo my setup is (and people may well dislike it to them i say thats fine )

- primary 2nd stage off a 120cm black Miflex hose
-- under arm routed with a 120 degree swivel elbow at the 2nd stage it can swivel on both axis for any orientation you want
- secondary 2nd stage off a 100cm Miflex hose in god awful bright yellow
-- this is clipped to my chest with an Octy mouthpiece holder on my right hand bcd strap and a magnetic hose clip at bcd waist (this stops it fouling on reef )

- AI transmitter on a 15cm HP hose out the same side as my reg hoses as I wear the comp on that arm and there is no good reason not to have the transmitter closer to the comp
- I have a button brass SPG on a longer Miflex HP (i think its about 40cm ) over the left shoulder with the BC inflation hose

so yeah i have one spair port in my !st stage but thats cool because im at one with the concept of redundant systems, i also have a wrist mounted Depth gauge modified to work on a re-tractor on my left BC top ring

How do you train for this? Do you tell your buddy to steal your regulator randomly on dives? Does your buddy occasionally do this spontaneously?

Training in this case goes beyond exercising a capability...no, I don't have my buddy steal my regulator randomly....I mull over in my head "what if" scenarios and at least once during every dive I will switch to my necklaced octo so that should my reg be ripped from mouth I will have the presence of mind to stay calm and collected, and just pop the one under my chin into my mouth...but maybe its not a bad idea to practice this in a pool by having a dive buddy take the primary reg randomly...as that is what is considered to be most likely to happen in a real world emergency.

-Z

... but thats cool because im at one with the concept of redundant systems...

What you have described are redundant gauges, you do not have a redundant system. A redundant system would be for example a second 1st stage mounted on a Y-valve, or carrying a pony bottle, or diving double tank setup, etc. You can have all the gauges in the world hanging off your equipment, it may give you redundancy for information but you would be making a mistake to think or promote the setup as you describe as offering a redundant system.

-Z

What you have described are redundant gauges, you do not have a redundant system. A redundant system would be for example a second 1st stage mounted on a Y-valve, or carrying a pony bottle, or diving double tank setup, etc. You can have all the gauges in the world hanging off your equipment, it may give you redundancy for information but you would be making a mistake to think or promote the setup as you describe as offering a redundant system.

-Z

A gauge set is a system by deffinition so while you are essentially correct that I don't have a fully redundant system I do have redundancy in the system... nowhere did i make the claim that it was fully redundant. im sorry if this was unclear to you

A gauge set is a system by deffinition so while you are essentially correct that I don't have a fully redundant system I do have redundancy in the system... nowhere did i make the claim that it was fully redundant. im sorry if this was unclear to you

Yes, of course...sure.

-Z

A redundant system would be for example a second 1st stage mounted on a Y-valve...

Where I come from a Y-valve is not a redundant system, it is redundant regulators.

Bob

Where I come from a Y-valve is not a redundant system, it is redundant regulators.

Bob

it is all perspective I guess...just across the border from where I am (Belgium), in Germany, there are places that require a minimum of 2 1st stages, and there are places that require redundant air sources especially in the colder areas.

I believe in the other direction, France, there is a requirement as well for at least a Y-valve with 2 1st stages.

Here in Belgium the attitude is a bit more "laissez fair" and while it is often recommended by folks to have a 2nd 1st stage, no body is enforcing it as a standard.

I agree, that a 2nd first stage is not a full redundant system...it is an actual start though.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom