Regulator for COLD water i want to buy one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sky50960

Reaction score
I want the best regulator for cold water use...
I am living in belgium ( cool country...and cool waters)
I was thinking of a Mares abyss regulator...or a ruby but very $expensive$ but safety has no price
do you have any advice??????????
I also want to use it in "hot" waters during vacation.

Are there other regulators maybe better than mares????

Thank you

Fa

Hi Fa,

Mares Ruby does very well in cold water, but so do many other regs, including some that cost considerably less.

Look into Beauchat VX-10, Sherwoods like the Maximus & Oasis that have heat sink fins & dry bleed systems, and the Oceanic Delta 2 SubZero.

Happy shopping.

DocVikingo

sky50960,

I would recommend the Apeks TX50 or TX100. They are made for cold water conditions and the price isn't high. You get alot of benefits and features for the price...plus it won't break the bank.

thats my .02

Aaron

I have a Oceanic Delta 2 SubZero with DX4 first stage. I went for a dive yesterday, the water was 38 f or 3 C, and never had a problem with it. I know people who use it for icediving and have never had it free flow. I've also used it in a heated pool and never had any problems.
:tree:

Apeks are the original cp;swater regulator, used here in the UK by the Royal Navy no less.

My Zeagle T50D wants to run away (ie. has froze up a lot of times) at the very site of ice, but I think it's because the IP is factory set too high at 140. I'm going to drop it down to 127 or so and see what happens this winter.
The best cold water reg on the market is the Posiedon Odin or Cyclone. Unfortunately, there are plenty of trade offs when you buy one of these. I use an Odin for a backup to my Zeagle, but I'm going to sell it here shortly and buy another Zeagle which I'll tune way down. Poseidon regs will throw ice chunks into your throat and still not freeze. I believe they are the only reg the US navy will use for really cold water dives, but I could be wrong.
If you can find one, the old US Divers Conshelfs with the metal housings are great for ice diving and deeper diving. People who don't know better practically give them away. Just make sure the parts are available for the model you buy. Sherwoods are also pretty decent (at least the older Magnums) but they seem to breath a harder to me. Remember that easy breathers are more likely to freeze up than harder breathers (except for the Poseidons).
Regs that I see free flow up here a lot are the Scuba Pro's, Dacors, some new US Divers, and off brands like TUSA, and various other warm water regs. I've never seen or heard of a Posiedon freezing up.

Good luck.

For ice diving there is no equal-only regulator 1st stage approved by U.S. Navy for ice diving. A sealed Jetstream will not let you down in ice.....and they perform well no matter what the depth-or environment. They tend to be a bit "mechanical" in their inhalation in shallow water... 40-60 feet and less they have a "fluttery" feel and some people hate it. You can get one at DiveInn.com for $237.00 U.S.

Talk about some awesome prices, Buff! Even with the shipping, I've never seen prices so low. Have you dealt with these guys before? I darn near bought a new TX50 today for a little over $330. At that place, I can get a new TX100 for that. Even the Scuba Pro's are cheap there --which is normally my primary complaint with them.

Thanks a lot.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom