Regulator for COLD water i want to buy one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apeks TX40's !! i use two in the UK in waters as cold as 2 Deg C, for reasonably long dives(40-50 mins +) and have had no problems at all. The TX 50 as sudgested by someone else, is a TX40 with a Cat cracking knob. This adgustment can be made on the TX 40 with an allen key.

I like DiveInn.....I have bought over $1000.00 dollars of equipment from them. It cost $36.00 to ship from Spain to the U.S. There is usually a "duty charge" from DHL delivery but I haven't seen one yet - it should be about another 30 dollars. I ordered the wrong mask from DiveInn and asked them how I would return it. They(it took them a while to respond they are so busy-prices are so good) said "Keep it...and what mask would you like and we'll ship that one to you no charge!!!!!"
Ocassionly, they are rivaled in price only by SimplyScuba in the U.K. But I like doing business with the DiveInn in Spain-it gives my diving-or at least my dive shopping a more international flavor. I am hesitant to purchase things that need a good fit from stores that are on the other side of the "pond"-not that it cost so much to ship it back but because it can be a hassle to do it. The latter reason is why I suspect DiveInn told me to keep the mask....to much hassle for too little gain.

I think i will go for a abys from mares
Of corse apeks TX 100...dacor...are very good
cold water regulators but difficult to find in
belgium.
And if you can find them it is difficult to have
replacement items.
The very popular here is scubapro and mares

Originally posted by *_antony_*
Apeks TX40's !! i use two in the UK in waters as cold as 2 Deg C, for reasonably long dives(40-50 mins +) and have had no problems at all. The TX 50 as sudgested by someone else, is a TX40 with a Cat cracking knob. This adgustment can be made on the TX 40 with an allen key.

*_antony_*,

Do you know If I can get the the TX50 knob from Apeks as a spare part) to replace the allen key part on the TX40? (obviously converting my TX40 to a TX50)

Jon T

So who services your regulators/BCD's (assuming that you bought them from DiveInn)?

Do you ship them back to the DiveInn? How do you 'order from Spain' instead of the UK ??

My local dive shop was making comments regarding mail order, saying that if I bought the Apeks TX50 + TX40 octo via mail order, either they would not service them or that there was NO warranty. Any comments?

Originally posted by buff
I like DiveInn.....I have bought over $1000.00 dollars of equipment from them. It cost $36.00 to ship from Spain

First of all no one needs to know that you bought it mail order. When you bring a PC computer in do they say "Did you buy it here, or somewhere else?" Why is any different with scuba equipment?? I think it's because divers tend to have more disposable income and dive shops feel like they can charge them more. I think diving gear is a lot like perfume. You don't see Calvin Kline selling their perfume at Kmart-there has to be a certain selling environment in which you can charge more-same as in a dive shop. An email store biggest selling point is low price-that "marginalizes" the manufacturer and makes their diving equipment a just a commodity.
My next question is "When has a piece of name brand dive equipment failed" I know Atomic had a recall on their regultors for a small part that failed. The basic regulator design has been around and has been tested for years. Atomic probably replaced the part free of charge. But for what you pay in a dive shop for the warranty you can just buy another regualtor altogether!!!!!
As far as buying overseas it is a little unnerving but the world is a small place. It cost so little to ship something across the ocean-and they dive in Spain and all over Europe-not just Americans are doing this. And what guarantees you that your local dive shop will service your regualtor or BC better than someone else-cause they are close to your home??
I bought a BC from Performance.com and laughed when I read the warranty...."You must send this BC back to IDI international or the seller once a year for maintenance...failure to do so voids this warranty" My gosh for the price I pay send this BC back and forth I could just buy a new one. Better yet I'll just bring it to my local dive shop and have them look it over...I'll pay them for the inspection and walk away from the dive shop with my BC in hand.
You can buy from LeisurePro-they offer their own warranty. I have never had any problems with them.

I'd tell them to kiss off. I shop exclusively mail order because the shops in my area don't sell the equipment I want, and they all charge top dollar for everything. I've personnally written them off except for air fills.
I send my stuff away to be serviced. You don't have to send it back to the shop you purchased it from, just send it to any shop willing to do it for you -- and there's hundreds of them. If the local shop is too greedy to help you out, write them off and shop elsewhere. The way I figure it, the price savings is so great that I can send my regs away many times before I hit the high retail mark. For example, my local shop sell the Scuba Pro 600 with the MK20 for around $600. You can get the same reg for around $300 from Dive Inn. That $300 saved gives me a lot of rebuilds and S&H charges. The nice thing about the Apeks regs, however, is that they have a very long life span and don't even NEED to be rebuilt yearly (realistically speaking). I've talked to several extreme cavers who have had their Apeks regs for 8yrs without rebuilding them.

Good luck.

Mike

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
The nice thing about the Apeks regs, however, is that they have a very long life span and don't even NEED to be rebuilt yearly (realistically speaking). I've talked to several extreme cavers who have had their Apeks regs for 8yrs without rebuilding them.

Totally off the point, but I was surfing the Apeks web page the other day and I am sure the rebuild interval of the first stage has now been officially extended to 2 years.

Jon T

On the subject of servicing.....

Since regular services are totally overpriced I have *never* found a dive shop that will not service equipment for me.

A couple of years ago I was in Denmark, and had a reg problem. I took it to the store, had it serviced same day (small extra charge for same day) so that my diving wasn't interupted.

Bottom line is that if you are paying for a service, its easy money for them.

Jon T

Back
Top Bottom