Regulator Intermediate Pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flfishhead

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a couple of regulators I recently purchased new. As recommended in the "Stickey" at the top of the "Regulators" forum, I also procured an IP gauge for checking the regulator intermediate pressure. The one regulator (Aqua Lung Titan LX) measures dead center in the "recommended" pressure range (135 +/- 10 PSI). However, the second regulator, a Mares Rover 2 (my "backup" reg), measures a bit high (160 PSI). Problem is, I don't know where to find the recommended "standard" for this particular regulator. I have studied the documentation provided with the reg, and cannot find this value (at least not in any figures that I understand) assuming it is there. I have also used the Mares on several dives without any noticeable problems. So, questions: 1) is the 160 PSI value too high for this regulator, and 2) how and where do I find the "recommended" IP value?

According to Harlow, Mares spec is 135 to 140 but 125 to 145 is acceptable.

Now that you have an IP guage tune them the same so you can easily interchange the 2nd's. Now you need an inline adjustment tool Inline Tool and you are on your way to well tuned regs exactly to your preference.

Now that you have an IP guage tune them the same so you can easily interchange the 2nd's. Now you need an inline adjustment tool Inline Tool and you are on your way to well tuned regs exactly to your preference.

An inline adjustment tool is unnecessary unless you are just in a hurry or have $$$ to burn. I understand that some Mares 2nds only are adjustable for lever height. Harlow suggests the extended IP range as a way of adjusting cracking pressure in those 2nds after lever height has been correctly set.

IMO the inline tool is completely necessary.

I also use an O2 clean calibrated APG gauge good to +-.25% of 1PSI through a range of 1 to 5000psi. This way all my 1st's are exactly the same, I can spot creep immediately, and I can plug and play whatever second I want to whatever 1st I want without concern.

APG_inline.jpg

I have quite a few regulators where an inline tool would be completely useless; yet I can adjust them and achieve excellent performance. So why would I need an inline tool just because it happens to fit some regulators?

I also have an inline tool and just bought another but they cannot be used on all regulators, in fact, quite a few it is useless on. I did fine without for many years. Useful but not required, but definitely useful.

Yeah, some second stages the IP can be used to fine tune them, I suppose it is. I do not like that because I like to set around 135 psi on all of mine as well and that way I can mix and match as I like.

N

Hope the inline tools are 02 clean as well!
Mine are hidden deep in the bowels of the toolbox they get used that much.

Really? Why...it doesn't do anything except speed up the adjusting process. And quite honestly, once you get a feel for certain 2nd stages, you can get pretty quick at adjusting them by hand. What's the rush?

Most of the 2nds I use are center balanced poppet anyway and don't fit the inline tool.

Back
Top Bottom