Regulator kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caston

Reaction score
I bought a Zeagle flathead last fall and love it. I was just wondering if when the time comes to service it does Zeagle offer a kit that has all parts and O-rings needed so an indivisual can service it himself ?

Thanks

No, we do not offer our service kits to the public.
We require that they be serviced annualy by an authorized Zeagle dealer.
I realize that this is not a popular stance with some people, but it is our policy as it stands today.

Thanks,

Scott

ScottZeagle:
No, we do not offer our service kits to the public.
We require that they be serviced annualy by an authorized Zeagle dealer.
I realize that this is not a popular stance with some people, but it is our policy as it stands today.

Thanks,

Scott

REQUIRE seems like such a strong word. Could this be called a Freudian slip?

There are a number of manufactures of high performance regulators who support, to one degree or another, the folks who would rather do their own service. Kirby Morgan, if you can afford it, looks like they will sell kits and parts. Dive Rite, similar to the Zeagle regs I believe, is openly selling kits and provining manuals to end users. Mares kits are available from overseas retailers thru the internet. Many others like Scubapro and Oceanic have a flurishing "unautherized" servoce kits market on ebay. I have not noticed the Zeagle kits but I havn't looked much. If you really want to be able to DIY, then you'll need to consider that in your purchase decision. Or just hope that the mfgr you decide on come around. Time are changing some phrases like "but it is our policy as it stands today" are becoming more and more common. :dance:

If I can change my own brakes, install a turbocharger, rebuild the transmission, and put new shocks on my car, I should be able to replace the O-rings and seats on my regulators. It all takes training and skill, obviously, but......... (moment of inspiration)

Hm. I'm envisioning a company that would manufacture and openly distribute rebuild kits for all brands of regulators. Would take minimal actual manufacturing.. ordering the right O-rings and manufacturing the right other piecse. Kinda like all the off-brand "OEM" parts you can buy for your car. Anyone listening? ScubaTools can expand...

awap:
REQUIRE seems like such a strong word. Could this be called a Freudian slip?

Ok, our warranty policy states that in order to maintain the "lifetime parts replacement", the reg has to be serviced annualy.

I use "our policy as it stands today" simply because we are always listening to input and may at some point make a change.

Scott

Thanks Scott, I understand Zeagles concern but if you can give any input on new policies, please bring it up to them. I don't believe just anyone should attempt servicing their equipment but I'm sure there are a lot of folks out there that would do a great job at it.
Now that I went through all that, how would I go through getting certified or trained by a Zeagle Rep. so I can do it myself and maybe for others. Do I need to work at a dive shop or could I just just do it from my house?
Thanks for the info.

jonnythan:
Hm. I'm envisioning a company that would manufacture and openly distribute rebuild kits for all brands of regulators. Would take minimal actual manufacturing.. ordering the right O-rings and manufacturing the right other piecse. Kinda like all the off-brand "OEM" parts you can buy for your car. Anyone listening? ScubaTools can expand...

I've thought about it a bit. I really don't think the demand would be that great. We may be loud, but I just don't think there are that many who really would do it themselves. I'm convinced you are better off either switching to a friendlier manufacturer or spending some more time looking for the right LDS. It is my understanding that there is nothing in most of the dealer agreements that restrict sales of part/kits. I think it is mostly "just the way we do it". And more LDSs are starting to think differently. I believe Zeagle is a good company; and with their loss of Apeks to Seaquest/USD, they are probably looking for ways to reclaim there market share.

Just my guess :dazzler1:

ScottZeagle:
Ok, our warranty policy states that in order to maintain the "lifetime parts replacement", the reg has to be serviced annualy.

I use "our policy as it stands today" simply because we are always listening to input and may at some point make a change.

Scott

Ok, here's some input...

I chose not to buy your regs because of the policy. Instead, I bought 6 regs from a competitor who has a less-restrictive policy.

Tim

ScottZeagle:

Scott

Input: I would like to see your policy changed. I service my own regs even though I have no training; it's just not that hard and I'm still breathin'.

If you look hard enough, you can find parts for any brand (assuming the parts are being produced). Why not take them off the grey market. Most people probably won't fool with it anyway. my 2 cents. steve

Okay Scott, how about letting the people in charge make what some of us think is a great idea.
I have a Ranger BC and love it. I have the Flathead and love it. Zeagle has done a fantastic job after losing the Apeks contracts. I believe it would be a great idea for Zeagle to be the first company to supply ALL parts to the customer to purchase.
I was talking to someone today and he said IF Zeagle sold the kit, he would buy one for his wife. ( He already owns a Scuba Pro).
I know that isn't the only reason to sale parts, but if they would think about how many people would purchase a Zeagle just because you could get parts for it, I'm sure it would add up. By your own words, " I realize that this is not a popular stance with some people". So why not go ahead and supply it. Don't you think it would help your business to be able to sale more items? I believe more and more people are going to want to service their own so why not be a trend setter?
I'm not going to stop buying Zeagle because I believe they make a very good product. It is just a thought to subjest an idea that everyone knows wills come around sooner or later......I would think you'd want to be first.
Oh yeah, Void the " life time parts replacement" for us who would rather take care of our own stuff.
Now saying all this, The main reason I'm wanting this is because I'm just not sure if I want to trust my life to someone that may be in a hurry to get off work to do what ever.
Okay, I'm finished now. I hope you have a super weekend. Please just think about how it would help business. I really can't think of how it would hurt it, but I may be predjudis.
Thanks for lisening and sorry for such a long post.

Back
Top Bottom