Regulator kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey:
There was a thread a while back about some first stages that were blowing apart, apparently due to improper assembly.

Terry

naw, that was a "design feature" :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe the manufacturers should sell parts to anyone as long as they're willing to sign a release that says "I'm working on my own stuff, and if I screw it up, it's my problem."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I wouldn't mind signing a release, I still have to ask the question as to why I don't have to sign a release when I buy new break parts for my car? The reason is simple. It's not the manufacturers or the retailers responsibilty for what I do with the parts once I buy them. They are only responsible for the material and workmanship involved in making them.

As for as how many people really want to do there own reg's, I'm sure it's a fairly small percentage, but as Scott said, those people should have the choice.

As to "free" parts, I don't mind paying a reasonable cost for the parts. And keep in mind that there is no such thing as a "free" lunch. The cost is ALWAYS hidden somewhere.
The real cost of a few "O" rings and springs and stuff is only a few bucks. One possible scenario is the LDS pays the manufacture the actual cost of the parts and passes it along to the consumer on the labor side of the bill. Of course the manufacture also knows that not many people will actualy use the free parts warranty for any length of time. Unfortunitly most people will buy there gear, dive a few times and lose interest. You would be surprised how many people you know that are certified divers, but have not dived in years.

Steve

No-when it comes to free warranty parts for yearly service the Manufacturer does not charge the LDS for the parts. They are free for them too. Some however, like Tusa, require that you return the old parts to them.

Then why would the manufacturer not give them to the consumer? What would be the difference? Scott even said that "IF" they were made available to the consumer they would not be free. All I'm saying is somebody's back is getting scratched somewhere in the transaction.

Most of the "do their own regs" posters here make the analogy of working on their car.

My new jeep has 9200 miles, I have the 100K warranty. I can't call or drop by a dealer and get free parts because I want to do the work.

SteveC:
Then why would the manufacturer not give them to the consumer? What would be the difference? Scott even said that "IF" they were made available to the consumer they would not be free. All I'm saying is somebody's back is getting scratched somewhere in the transaction.

They will give them to you for free -- if you meet the conditions of the established agreement. That usually means that you purchased the reg from an authorized dealer (back scratch #1), have had it serviced within the prescribed interval by an authorized dealer (scratch #2), and have the current service and free parts installed by the authorized dealer (scratch #3). If you meet the terms of the agreement you can get free parts. If not, you don't. I see this as the manufacturer providing a reasonable level of support to their dealers.

I'm fully satisfied just to be able to purchase parts at reasonable prices. But I guess there are always those looking for more.

cerich:
Most of the "do their own regs" posters here make the analogy of working on their car.

My new jeep has 9200 miles, I have the 100K warranty. I can't call or drop by a dealer and get free parts because I want to do the work.

Yes, but with your new jeep, that warrenty includes free parts and labor. You don't have to pay $75 in labor charges to receive $25 worth of parts. As long as we are comparing the two.:14:

Just a question, in your view what effect would free labor during a specified period for a reg have on someone picking one brand over the other?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EXACTLY!!!
And neither can your mechanic (LDS). Unless of course the price of repair parts was worked into the original purchase price as it is with regs.
We don't want something for nothing, just a fair shake and to have our hands untide.

Not to open another can of worms here but speaking of the "manufacturer, LDS, consumer" conspiracy, has anyone ever wondered why we consumers are not allowed to go to the DEMA show???

Simple because the industry freely gives away wholesale price information and we go there to do "industry business". We barely have enough time to speak with all our current and hopefully future accounts. It is not because we don't want to see divers!

If the general public was there it would be impossible to get everything done.

That is why almost everyone in the industry would like to see more consumer shows.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom