regulator maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought that APEKS gave parts for free as long as the maintenance was done by an approved APEKS dealer and Tech.

Am I missing something?

(Although, I've asked for the "emergency field repair" parts from my dealer :D Second stage only!)

If you know how to service a reg. then by all means do it. I repair my bike all the tiem and am so disappointed when a shop does it. No one takes better care of my toys than me. If I had the knowledge and the tools, equipment to overhaul my regs then I would not hesitate to do so.

If you don't know how to service it then you can send it to Mike Rainone. He just overhauled my regs. -Apeks and Poseidon.

The manufacturer and the LDS normally refuse to supply you with a service manual and spare parts kit in the UK, unless you have got a manufacturers service certificate. I suppose if you talk to a shop outside your area they might have a different outlook. I expect you will need some special tools as well. The annual cost of a reg service with an octo is in the region of £70 here. A bitter pill for a poor diver.
The cost of owning a Mares Ruby if taken in consideration of no service for four years, starts to look more economic. For those of us who use a bargain basement reg, a service hardly makes economic sense. An Aqualung Calypso can sell for £84, I am not going to pay £25 a stage to service it. The more fuss people like us make about it, the sooner manufacturers will have to make available service manuals, tools and service kits for divers.

Back
Top Bottom