Regulator malfunction or freezing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grey

Reaction score
Hi
I recently was on a dive and had an unusual experience with my reg. an Aqualung Titan. I had been at 60 feet and ascended slowly to around 25 ft or so. At the point of 25 feet or so and until the end of the dive, (with about 500-600 psi in an AL80) when I inhaled there was a weird feeling/noise that happened at the end of the inhalation. I am thinking that the regulator was continuing to give me a little air even after I stopped inhaling. The "extra" air stopped a second or two after the end of each inhalation. When I was at 60 feet, the temperature was 48 F but at 25 was much warmer (60ish) and the surface air temp was in the 70s. My question is was this because the tank was low on air or was the reg. on the edge of freezing/freeflowing or some other malfunction? I bought the reg. in Sept. and have about 35 dives on it and it has not been serviced (annual) yet.
Thanks in advance for all information.
Grey

If a reg is not able to handle cooler/cold water, it malfuctions by freeflowing; it sounds like it may have done that to you.

Or perhaps it needs to be de-tuned a bit. If you have one of those regs with the adjustable knob on the 2nd stage, try dialing it down a bit.

If the problem persists, take it to your shop & have your tec look at it.

~SubMariner~

I too have the aqualung Titan. Mine has been recently serviced. Last weekend I was at 60-65 feet in 38 degree water, and I was starting to get chilly. I suck air like a vacuum cleaner when I'm cold, (maybe it's time to move to a drysuit) but the reg still had no issues. If your second stage is the XLC, try moving the venturi assist more towards the minus and see if that makes a difference. I would also recommend getting it serviced. I know it's not a cold water reg, but at that depth and temperature you shouldn't be having issues.

Back
Top Bottom